Second Skin Audio

Sundown X15 Enclosure Help?

dialup666

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

20 hours ago, DiBo said:

You're going to be loud and low. Probably play from 26hz-50hz with pretty good authority. It'll start falling off after 50 a little bit. 

at the risk of looking like a huge dumbass, I've used my SketchUp skills (or extreme lack thereof) to kind of draw this up... I couldn't understand how the port was supposed to be built so I did a little bit of editing.  I upped the port height just a little bit, tightened the width, and cut an inch off length... that added a little bit to my net volume and dropped the tuning down to 31Hz not accounting for 45's and bracing.  Hopefully that is going to bring it up to 32-33Hz range?

image.thumb.png.592eceb2c42b784fcd35a40198fee7aa.png

image.thumb.png.ffa6e2ea3e593d4965991bf9bbb05b98.png

This is how I should be looking, correct?  Baffle will be have a hole cut in it to sit over the port (i did take into account the extra 1.5" of port length when building it in SketchUp :D)... 

box.thumb.png.be342c981fb4d3f4403323f72421e836.png

Here's how my Torres is looking now.  I just want to make absolutely sure I've got all of this looking tip top and have all my measurements fully planned before I start sawing wood.

Thanks again guys.

On 7/20/2019 at 8:01 AM, dialup666 said:

at the risk of looking like a huge dumbass, I've used my SketchUp skills (or extreme lack thereof) to kind of draw this up... I couldn't understand how the port was supposed to be built so I did a little bit of editing.  I upped the port height just a little bit, tightened the width, and cut an inch off length... that added a little bit to my net volume and dropped the tuning down to 31Hz not accounting for 45's and bracing.  Hopefully that is going to bring it up to 32-33Hz range?

image.thumb.png.592eceb2c42b784fcd35a40198fee7aa.png

image.thumb.png.ffa6e2ea3e593d4965991bf9bbb05b98.png

This is how I should be looking, correct?  Baffle will be have a hole cut in it to sit over the port (i did take into account the extra 1.5" of port length when building it in SketchUp :D)... 

box.thumb.png.be342c981fb4d3f4403323f72421e836.png

Here's how my Torres is looking now.  I just want to make absolutely sure I've got all of this looking tip top and have all my measurements fully planned before I start sawing wood.

Thanks again guys.

Looks good to me. Add 45's in corners and maybe a dowel to brace the baffle and the overall cu ft will fall around 4.25

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/19/2019 at 3:13 PM, BassMunky said:

Video after man

On 7/19/2019 at 8:47 PM, sh4z said:

This is pretty exciting interested to see how this goes.

I've finally returned.  After a long, drawn out, expensive, and time consuming project, I'm happy to say that I'm finally done (for now lol).  I have pictures from the actual building of the box, but I'm kind of ashamed to show off what it looked like before everything was "finished" so I'm just going to show yall "finished" hahaha

https://imgur.com/a/dCePtjq

Animated GIFAnimated GIF

This setup is crazy.  Never expected a single 15 to do this kind of work... Box isn't as pretty as I had hoped, but with a skill saw, a Ryobi jigsaw, hand sanding, and minimal woodworking skills, I'm very proud of how everything turned out.  Lots of caulking, sanding, and painting ended up covering up most of the cosmetic flaws I had in the box.  Ended up doing a little bit more adjusting for port area and running a single allthread brace in between the baffle and the inner part of the port which made the box incredibly sturdy, even though the box alone was solid as a rock after getting everything glued, screwed and sealed.  For cautionary measures, threw in a 3/4" birch dowel running width wise in the same area.  It feels like it's made of concrete... super duper solid box design and I'm really happy with it.  Ended up building a little amp rack out of spare MDF from the build which turned out pretty nice.

It sounds (well.... would it be considered sound at this point?  I think I feel it everywhere except in my ears lmao) incredible.  Better than I ever could have hoped.  Shoutout to everyone who gave their input and helped me out where I needed it.  I hope I can take what I learned and be able to help someone else out some day soon.  

Not anywhere near the cleanest work you're gonna see, but i'm just starting out here.  Just wanted to come back and show what I got done with y'all's help.

Thank you!

Footnote:

On 7/19/2019 at 3:10 PM, DiBo said:

You're going to be loud and low. Probably play from 26hz-50hz with pretty good authority. It'll start falling off after 50 a little bit. 

Oh yeah, you were definitely right on that one.  Sweet spot seems to hit right around 32Hz, thats when I start to feel a little bit of labored breathing coming on LMAO.  This is a beast.  Never would have thought a single 15 would be getting this loud.  Sundown is killing the game.

Next stop:  god, I need to sound deaden my headliner.

Archived