Sundown Audio

Big voltage drop

hardhitta

Hey y'all i know there are tons of threads about this and I've gone thru probably 10 or 15... Anyway. I am currently running a rockford fosgate t1500bdcp amp on 3 dual 10 toby boxes. The boxes are 500rms and 2 ohms each wired in parallel. Pushing at .7 ohms on my amp. Now I am going from 14v down to almost 8v on the right note... Would strapping 3 500w rms amps together help any?

Your running low voltage because your nominal wiring is low. It takes power to make it. You need a high output alternator and likely a beefier battery bank to run below 1 ohm. 

Whats your electrical looking like like right now ?

I doubt your problem is the amp or how its wired. With impedence rise on music i doubt youll rarely receive under 1 ohm and definately not below .7 at the amp wich that rockford will handle. Your problem is electrical. Thats a beefy amp. You need at least a solid agm up front and one small reserve in bak. 0 gauge throughout with big 3 upgrade to alt and grounds and solid ground locations. If you have all that already check your wiring. Maybe something came loose. Check your grounds to make sure they are in a good location. Not on interior metal panels. On the frame or main piece of the car. Sanded down to bare metal and coated to prevent rust. Also check any batts u do have. Maybe 1 is shitting the bed under load. Most automotive places will have a load tester.

24 minutes ago, mathewyocham said:

I doubt your problem is the amp or how its wired. With impedence rise on music i doubt youll rarely receive under 1 ohm and definately not below .7 at the amp wich that rockford will handle. Your problem is electrical. Thats a beefy amp. You need at least a solid agm up front and one small reserve in bak. 0 gauge throughout with big 3 upgrade to alt and grounds and solid ground locations. If you have all that already check your wiring. Maybe something came loose. Check your grounds to make sure they are in a good location. Not on interior metal panels. On the frame or main piece of the car. Sanded down to bare metal and coated to prevent rust. Also check any batts u do have. Maybe 1 is shitting the bed under load. Most automotive places will have a load tester.

Running 0 all the way front to back, big done 3 in 0 as well. My alt is a 140amp(duralast lol) and a duracell deep cycle battery and a everstart back up

Ya definately check ground locations and all connections to look for anything loose. If those are fine id have the batts load tested. If that checks out maybe alt failure under load?

Not saying the wiring would cause that much of a voltage drop, just wondering what wire hes running. But true either alternator not putting out or cant keep up with the amp/sub set up. Leaning more towards a loose connection or not properly grounded. 

Archived