Second Skin Audio

Concerning SQ

Epic

Hey yall! So Im ATTEMPTING my very first "SQ-esque" set up and planning my sub stage for an extended cab full-size truck.

At the moment, I have a single 12" Soundqubed HDC3 in a 2.25 ft box tuned at 32 hz. It sounds pretty good and shakes every panel on my truck (needs soundproofing), but I'm not sure if it is necessary for this project. 

My current plan is a console box in hope of keeping my rear seat. A few things I'm tossing around in my head are the sub and port orientation and aside from a DSP, what can help me get a smoother frequency response. 

What I currently have in mind is the sub facing the rear seat and the port underneath it. I've already checked my measurements and theres plenty of room to work with, without making it look silly, but I'd love to hear some opinions on what others have tried. I want my console to be clean looking, so I dont want the sub up where I need functionality. I see people using a side firing or downfire design up closer to your feet and say it helps blend the sub with the front stage, but I've never had any problems with this using simple EQ'ing... but I'm always open to new ideas.

Thoughts?

8 minutes ago, ToNasty said:

I'd do sealed or low tuned to start off with.  

Second I'd want a sub with a lower fs 

That's what I figured. Low FS and QTS? And how low would you consider tuned low for SQ?

I've thought about a sealed box for this one, so I can fit 2 10s in my console, but i dont know if i can get it low enough for my taste and it would need to be a downfire design or vertical/ perpendicular arrangement  behind the armrest to work.

28-30 depending on the sub. 

Sq isnt about being loud.  I'm actually on a waiting list for my sub.  Single voice coil. 150 watt sub

Have you though about getting another sub? Because if you want 2 10s I know just the ones for you

37 minutes ago, ToNasty said:

28-30 depending on the sub. 

Sq isnt about being loud.  I'm actually on a waiting list for my sub.  Single voice coil. 150 watt sub

Have you though about getting another sub? Because if you want 2 10s I know just the ones for you

Yea, that's why I say "SQ-esque" lol bc when that song comes on I like to turn it up from time to time. I dont need this one to shake my truck apart, I just want it to sound full and to feel it when the bass drops.

I plan on everything getting replaced as I go. The Soundqubed can go in my Riviera, what you got in mind?

As my Avalanche goes through the Sound Quality competition lanes, my fuse to my sub amplifier is pulled. Just Saying 

I’m scoring in the high 70s with just a 2 way component set. Subs causes rattles, which is not good for “true Sq” 

With that being said, I’d keep focused on front stage and image ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

1 minute ago, White Lightning said:

As my Avalanche goes through the Sound Quality competition lanes, my fuse to my sub amplifier is pulled. Just Saying 

I’m scoring in the high 70s with just a 2 way component set. Subs causes rattles, which is not go for “true Sq” 

Agreed. I didnt bring that up because OP didnt say anything about it

1 hour ago, White Lightning said:

I’m scoring in the high 70s with just a 2 way component set. Subs causes rattles, which is not good for “true Sq” 

Wow. You know ya got that sounding real nice if no sub is necessary to cover the lows.

But yea, the console and subs will be getting done this winter after I get everything else up front and the exterior finishef... but I like to have a plan to keep in mind as I go, so i can plan my design around. 

I know theres so many little things that I dont know about, but this truck is a learning experience for me, so one day I will stop asking so many questions. Maybe. lol

1 hour ago, Epic said:

Yea, that's why I say "SQ-esque" lol bc when that song comes on I like to turn it up from time to time. I dont need this one to shake my truck apart, I just want it to sound full and to feel it when the bass drops.

I plan on everything getting replaced as I go. The Soundqubed can go in my Riviera, what you got in mind?

If you want a great sub. Even 2. They dont get loud but they sound extremely good and they're cheap. Also work nicely in small ported boxes.  The dayton audio ho 10 dvc

10 minutes ago, ToNasty said:

If you want a great sub. Even 2. They dont get loud but they sound extremely good and they're cheap. Also work nicely in small ported boxes.  The dayton audio ho 10 dvc

You know I heard a Dayton Ultimax in a car that sounded real nice. I assume it sounds better?

Archived