Second Skin Audio

Is my box designed correctly?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ckeeler11 said:

And I would find a different box builder.

Well, The guy that normally builds my boxes normally does a good job with them, but I’ve been told that he won’t build a box that will outperform his own setup- he’ll tweak the measurements to make it still sound good but won’t hit as hard as it could. So I’ve decided that I’m just gonna attempt to build a box myself, so that I know that it’s built to spec for the subs to perform to their potential. I’ve been playing around with winisd and trying to get the hang of it. The only thing that I’m not quite understanding is the graph shows a peak around 45hz, even though the tuning is 33hz. Is that relatively normal? Or is my sub just not able to go very low? The sub is MMats Procast 15”. I’ll try to post pics of the graph tonight, I’m at work right now. 

https://imgur.com/a/EcTCJbE

Alright so I’ve been playing around with winisd and this is what I’ve got so far. The tuning is 33hz but the graph shows the peak around 50hz. Is this okay? I can’t seem to get the peak any closer to 33hz no matter what I do. If anyone has any ideas, feel free to let me know. Or if someone doesn’t mind modeling the design for me, I would be very grateful. I’m trying to learn how to do this stuff but it’s hard when I’m being told one thing by my friends and what they say is almost opposite from the info I read on here, so my mind is just going back and forth. But I’m determined and willing to learn how to do this the correct way. Thanks in advance and also thank you guys for the advice and  replies already posted!

35 minutes ago, CrackFactory said:

I'm getting similar results. I modeled the recommended box from MMats and its tuned around 40hz. They must just not be built to play low. 

That’s what I thought. Out of curiosity, what numbers did you end up getting, as far as port area, volume, etc? I just wanna see how close my results are compared to yours, if you don’t mind. And thanks again for taking the time to do that 

If I was in your situation I would plug the port on the current box and mount 4 - 6 inch ports 14 inches long each into the box.

This will get you the port area you need and get your tuning to around 35 hz. A little under 10.5 cu ft after displacements.

If you still don't like it sell the subs and buy new stuff. 

Archived