Sonic Electronix

9 hours ago, Kyblack76 said:

Not how it works boss.

The amp/board, sees a load, and puts out wattage. The amp cant put more power through a pair of wires, vs another. The amp, sees resistance, and puts in work. 

the load the amp see will determine the power of the amplifier puts out but the resistance of each coil being different or in this case not different but two coils on one driver is going to see more power. I've actually done this before and I witnessed it

Let's use a more clear cut example. 

Take a svc 4 ohm sub and a svc 2 ohm sub. Wire them paralell. The load the amp sees is is 1.33 ohm or series it sees 6 ohm. The amp is going to make whatever power it's designed to at a given nominal impedance. But the coils that are wound around the former are what they are and you'll not change that. The coil with least resistance will pick up more power in direct relation to it's impedance. 

I had 3 subs, one single 4 ohm, other 2 were dual 4 ohm, I wired up those coils in parallel, and ran all 3 parallel to a t1500-1. .8 ohm final load.

The middle sub moves visually less, very noticeable to the naked eye.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, AaronT said:

Even if you had 2 dual 4 ohm subs all parellel for 1 ohm  load, if one meters even a point or 2 different, that situation as well, one sub with lower impedance, even by .1 will see more power

It’s not good to mix-match subs no matter if you can wire them up correctly. Just Saying 

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

On 7/31/2019 at 7:25 AM, Casparado said:

So......... that means it will work?  I know it's not ideal but I'm just getting started (again). 

Use one driver and bang the shit out of it ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

On 8/9/2019 at 10:02 PM, AaronT said:

The dual 4 ohm sub will see twice as much power.

Even though final load is 1.33, the coil still has that nominal impedance of 2 ohm versus the 4 ohm Sub.

The dual 4 coil will be 2ohm impedance in this "circuit" and gobble up more power

That is what I was expecting. The dual ohm sub is rated conservatively at 600w RMS and the SVC sub is rated at 350w RMS. 

1 hour ago, White Lightning said:

It’s not good to mix-match subs no matter if you can wire them up correctly. Just Saying 

yeah I figured as much. the T/S parameters are very similar though.... I'm tempted to try it, if I do I will have the camera rolling for sure! It wouldn't be permanent obviously... I kinda doubt it will sound good but curiosity might get the better of me. 

23 hours ago, White Lightning said:

I was response to the guy who said "that's not how it works, the amp sees a load and puts in work. The amp won't send different wattage through different wires"

When it's exactly how it works, the subs determine what they get not the amp. 

All I’m saying is you can physically install Honda engine on a Harley, and make it work, but it’s just wrong ... 

5 minutes ago, White Lightning said:

All I’m saying is you can physically install Honda engine on a Harley, and make it work, but it’s just wrong ... 

Yes that's exactly what I was saying  who wants one sub soaking up 66% of the amps power and other soaking up 33%? Lol

Are they even the same brand of sub?

26 minutes ago, AaronT said:

Yes that's exactly what I was saying  who wants one sub soaking up 66% of the amps power and other soaking up 33%? Lol

Are they even the same brand of sub?

They are not the same brand. One is a B2 ref12 and the other is an Infinity perfect 12.1. Right now I have just the B2 in there and it sounds damn good. My ultimate plan is to get another B2 sub but I was just toying with the idea of throwing the Infinity in there in its own sealed box jsut for shits and giggles, until I get the other B2 and a ported box made. The B2 handles twice the power of the Infinity fwiw. 

Archived