Second Skin Audio

Sp4 V2+ design help

Life hit me and I didn’t have the time I thought I would to do this upgrade. Finally getting time to design but I’m running into a few questions about my enclosure design 

Continuing from an older thread

The sp4 v2+ has these specs: https://ficaraudio.com/product/sp4v2-series-sp4v215/

overall diameter 15 5/8”

inner diameter 14 1/8”

what is is the minimum my height should be and still be sturdy for 3/4” mdf and likely a slot port on the right side

the other thread led me to a few conclusions that I’d love opinions on.

net volume of 3 to 3.5 

tuning at 30Hz

SSF at 24Hz

will be powered by either a AAK 4000.1D or their 5500 

Electric still undecided. I was thinking lithium but still unsure for safety reasons. Might go with XS power AGMs instead with some super caps

any opinions welcome to my plan or enclosure specs

I have an SP4plus in my daily and the cooling was the only option I got and a carbon fiber dust cap but that is just for looks. I just have 4 spiders because that's what the ts parameters are based on. Running mine on a rf t2500-1bdcp and it's mechanically sound. 

1 minute ago, Mike4068 said:

I have an SP4plus in my daily and the cooling was the only option I got and a carbon fiber dust cap but that is just for looks. I just have 4 spiders because that's what the ts parameters are based on. Running mine on a rf t2500-1bdcp and it's mechanically sound. 

Did you go with a 15 inch version? If so what was your height I’m worried about having enough space to support it properly. Planned on a double baffle front sheet

7 hours ago, Mike4068 said:

I have an 18. I don't have anywhere to build my own stuff anymore so I had tc designs do mine. 31” wide, 29” deep, 23” tall. 7 cubes, 30.2 Hz. You're definitely going to want that double baffle. 

How is your sub orientated ? Subs front or subs at the top of the box ?

On 7/31/2019 at 7:28 AM, Joshdashef said:

what is is the minimum my height should be and still be sturdy for 3/4” mdf and likely a slot port on the right side

On 7/31/2019 at 10:23 AM, Joshdashef said:

Did you go with a 15 inch version? If so what was your height I’m worried about having enough space to support it properly. Planned on a double baffle front sheet

What do you mean by height? why would having a shorter box be less sturdy? Not quite understanding what you are asking.

11 hours ago, ckeeler11 said:

What do you mean by height? why would having a shorter box be less sturdy? Not quite understanding what you are asking.

Subwoofer has 15 5/8” diameter

what is the minimum height that can still support it?

as in how much room do the screws that hold it need around it? Would 16” height work ? Or is 17” better ?

5 hours ago, Joshdashef said:

Subwoofer has 15 5/8” diameter

what is the minimum height that can still support it?

as in how much room do the screws that hold it need around it? Would 16” height work ? Or is 17” better ?

With a 15.625 outside diameter you could get away with a 16" high box.  If you did that I would orient your panels so you aren't putting screws into the end grain of the panel.  Hopefully that makes sense.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

2 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

With a 15.625 outside diameter you could get away with a 16" high box.  If you did that I would orient your panels so you aren't putting screws into the end grain of the panel.  Hopefully that makes sense.  

Thank you! I was just wondering in my head if that’d be okay.

no end grain gotcha, so just put the double baffle the entire length and height of the box and the sides, top, and bottom behind that right ?

spacer.png

Just one question @Triticum Agricolam

I’ve been using your port area calc and wanted to see if you had any input. 

With a box that has 3.5 or 4 cubic feet net after displacements should I shoot for the optimal port area ? Or is 70ish square inches okay ? I’ll end up with a port 14.5 high with variable length / width that’s why I’m asking. 

Archived