I have started making the door speaker enclosures. Will be covered with Carbon when the shell is done.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I also bought 2 different twin needles and a Braiding foot for my sowing machine. I am going to experiment with these needles and foot soon. I am thinking of upholstering some parts with Alcantara. Lots of work to do....

but for now the most difficult part, waiting for the epoxy to cure so i can do the next step.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have sanded the enclosure. Where the speaker bolts on to the mdf i have inserted screws that have threads on the inside so the speaker can be tightened without damaging the mdf, and the bolts can be tightened strong.

The bolts are placed in a tilted angle, so the connectors have the shortest route to where they enter the enclosure, i will make a ring to hide all the bolts afterwards so the bolts will not be seen anyway. Also the Z6 have an option to install a bracket on them for the tweeters, i also want to hide the openings where the + and - connect from the bracket to the woofer because i will be using the tweeters on the side mirror location and do not want to have this showing through the grill.

spacer.png

Sanded the epoxy down again for the next layer to adhere properly. Noticed that the speaker housing does not fit like i wanted to. I layed down the fiber glass with the doorpanel not attached to the door so there is a tiny gap between the housing and the doorpanel due to slightly warping. Not very difficult to fix, just mask of the doorpanel again and apply some glass and or bondo between the doorpanel and the housing and pushing it on and let dry. 

spacer.png

painted the area where the speaker will go black.

spacer.png

Glassing the base for the centre speaker pod. There are some layers of glass put down (bit difficult to see on the picture). It needs more layers because it is not very strong at the moment yet. This housing and the dashboard will be flocked black when finished.

I will not remove it yet but sand it down and add layers of glass to make sure it will not warp.

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

Making a test for the upholstery of the doorpanel inserts. I want to replace the light grey material with alcantara in the end, but for practice this cheap material will do. I have incorporated the shape of the line that divides the two tone on the car in the inserts.
I should have swapped the light and the dark grey bobbin in the machine, the dark grey stitch should have been on the light material, and the light grey stitch on the dark material. This is the first time working with a twin needle, next time remember to check if the colour is in the right needle. The foam layer is not added in this step yet.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The front subframe is in final position, front drive axles are installed, hubs, brakes and wheels installed.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Tightened all the bolts of the alternator and tensioned the belt, placed the ignition coil vertically. Tightened the rubber boot of the steering column where the shaft enters the car. Drilled out a snapped bolt to place the steering fluid reservoir.

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

Cleaned up the wiring for the starter and the battery positive that goes to the back of the car.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The new wires, and made a new bracket for the resistor pack.

spacer.png

Now i have to make or buy a bracket for the battery.

• 4 months later...

Made a new door insert with real alcantara. Edges are not glued down yet.

spacer.png

Making Forged Carbon on the steering wheel

spacer.png

Wrapped the C pillar in Alcantara

spacer.png

spacer.png

The A and B pillar will also be wrapped in Alcantara, i am waiting for a new can of glue to come in.

The mirror is wrapped in Alcantara

spacer.png

Made an embroidery patch for the floormats, a new set of floormats needs to be ordered and then i can glue them in place.

spacer.png

The battery will be installed under the spare tire.

spacer.png

Archived