Second Skin Audio

Building enclosure

Kelly13

Is it best to use the recomended enclosure size in the manual, it's going to be for 2 12 inch jl w1 subwoofers, I know these are not the best subs to start with but it's what I have and this is my hobby just joined this fourm yesterday in hopes that I can connect with people who have experience, in the town where I live there is pretty much nobody who does car audio as a hobby. I don't care about how loud it is or how hard it hits just looking to make these speakers sound good I know they can be alot better sounding then the current prefab ported box. I've been thinking about doing some kind of bandpass through the rear deck or maybe just a sealed enclosure . I also have one 10 inch kicker comp vr that I can play with just don't know what would be better choice to run, 2 12 inch jl w1, 1 12  inch w1 or the one 10 that I have, sound quality is what I'm after, clear defined bass,

Sounds like you could play with what you prefer. Might be a single 10 or dual 12s. If I were you I’d build a simple sealed box for the dual 12s and see if you like it, unless space is an issue then do a sealed single 10 box. Ported can also produce clean bass but I’d avoid band pass unless you require it for space reasons like in a truck blow through... they are hard to get right

goodluck man tons of resources on here 

Thank you, so for jl 12 inch w1 subs jl recomends doing 1.25 per sub sealed. Is there anything to gain by going bigger or smaller like to 1.75 per sub or down to .75 per sub in a sealed box I don't have winisd or even know how to use anything like that but I know how to build a box to size 

Here's the difference between the recommended 1.25 sealed box and going to either 1.0 or 1.5.   Going larger will gain a little output from 40hz area down but lose some above around 60hz.  Its the exact opposite going down to a 1.0 box, you lose some output below 40hz but gain some above 60hz.

Hopefully this helps!

JL.png

I have used sealed boxes for nearly all my systems. I try to get as close to the manufacturer specs as possible due to things like impedance rise / box rise. Recently I took a sub that's designed for a .85cuft sealed box and put it in a 1.25, and it did indeed sound different. unfortunately it's with a different amp so it's not a direct comparison, but it did seem to make a big difference. I figure the techs know what that specific sub likes for pressures due to it's T/S parameters, so I just go with what they recommend. 

Here's a quick write-up on box impedance rise. 

Archived