Second Skin Audio

Flatter response tune

airofu

Just wanting to see if I am on the right track with tuning, I much prefer a lower tune or bass around 30-32hz from what I've seen on a lot of rap songs. I find the higher 40-50hz can become a bit more boomy and in your ear type sound. Going off this lower range of say 30hz, would be a waste to tune much lower than this? The only benefit I can see if that the lower tune tends to flatten the response which is maybe what I am after?

Would my aim be to tune as low as the sub/box shows in something like WinISD in say the 28hz-50hz range flat within a db a so without dropping too low in output overall? .....

Tuning lower will generally flatten your frequency response and will allow you to effectively player lower frequencies. This all comes at the cost of peak output around and above where your current tuning frequency is. Depending on what your goals are for your system giving up some output in the 35-50 Hz range might be worth gaining flatter frequency response and more output below 35 Hz, or it might not. There is no one right answer, it depends on what is important to you. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Thanks, I think in terms of frequency I don't want to tune much below 30hz, but I do find I much prefer flatter response overall....will play around with WinISD to see what get's rid of the peaks....

I've found quite a few subs modeled have a peak around 34hz and up but it flattens quite a bit by around 28-30hz.

Archived