96 Civic Hatch speaker upgrade

DireRaptor22

Greetings 😎

I recently bought a 1996 Civic EK Hatch (rare find these days)... bone stock. All 4 speakers (6.5 fronts and 6x9 rears) seem to have disintegrated as expected out of a 23 year old car. Recently just upgraded the head unit to a Pioneer DEH-X6800BS. I plan to upgrade all 4 speakers but have to stay away from installing a subwoofer for now, since I use this car for work (courier job) that involves hauling things so I need all the space I can have! I plan to have a 4CH amp put in under one of the front seats as well, but nothing too crazy... thinking probably a Rockford R400-4D or something similar.

OK so I need some opinions! I've been out of the car audio scene for awhile and got kinda lost looking around at speakers TBH 😅 What would you recommend for a pair of 6.5s and 6x9s as full range speakers that won't break the bank but still have decent sound quality and bass? I'm thinking of a budget not to exceed $100 per pair or so... The cheaper option I've seen so far are the Rockford Prime series R165x3 and R169x3, and I'm thinking they will still be a night/day difference compared to the rotting 23 year old stock speakers lol. Infinity and JBL caught my attention too as people are saying they have insane SQ and dB with above average bass response. I am open to suggestions!! Thanks for your time 😎

67765126_368743110454760_4059250016097665024_n.jpg

“The fascination of flight can't be expressed with words. But it really lies beyond the capabilities of human endeavor. Once you've experienced it, you'll never be able to forget it.” - Friedrich Oblessor

12 hours ago, hifonix said:

Skip the rear speakers and go with a nice set of components up front. The 6x9's in the rear throw off the sound stage and are hard to tame once you throw power to them.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_60498_Rockford-Fosgate-Power-T1675-S.html

and a good amp add a sub later.

Good to know about the rear speakers messing up sound stage part. There are no spots for tweeters up front so I'm assuming I'd have to drill tweeter holes in the upper part of front door? As for rears would you recommend just getting a basic 6x9 set and running it off the headunit only?

Also, this would be my first time ever getting an amp to power speakers, only ever had mono amps in the past for subs. For front components I'd still have to get a 4ch amp correct? 2 tweeters and 2 mid ranges?

Since I won't be running a sub for awhile due to needing space for cargo, how would you rate the bass quality of those T1675 components? I know they're not meant to play bass but I'd hope it still has at least some kick to it for your typical EDM and Rap music...? Thanks for the info!!

“The fascination of flight can't be expressed with words. But it really lies beyond the capabilities of human endeavor. Once you've experienced it, you'll never be able to forget it.” - Friedrich Oblessor

Get a t400x4 mini amp, it's sick and in rockford fashion kills rated claims. 

Do the rear in 6.5" components as well, they make cool little adapters you can put 6"5 inch in place of 6x9.

Mount tweeters low all around.

Get a new  battery up front whilst your at it. A good budget option that does well for a small amp is a Duracell agm from Sam's club for like 130 bucks.

21 minutes ago, AaronT said:

Get a t400x4 mini amp, it's sick and in rockford fashion kills rated claims. 

Do the rear in 6.5" components as well, they make cool little adapters you can put 6"5 inch in place of 6x9.

Mount tweeters low all around.

Get a new  battery up front whilst your at it. A good budget option that does well for a small amp is a Duracell agm from Sam's club for like 130 bucks.

I wish my budget shined that high :( Hah so is it really that bad to have 6x9s in the back? I already have a brand new Duralast Platinum AGM in the front, stock everything else though (alt, wiring etc). Unfortunately my budget would allow for a decent set of components in the front and basic 6x9s in the back and a lower tier RF Prime 4ch amp, which from previous experience is still a decent series of amps!

I don't run rear fill.... you might get more sound but it's going to muddy the sound stage and bring it to the middle of the car instead of in front of the windshield. So I guess it depends what you're looking for. If you just want SPL then no big deal, but if you're going for more SQ, then use the 4 channels to power your front components individually. I have a set of Focal components up front and previously I had a makeshift crossover splitting 50w between them and 50w to rear fill speakers. Once I ditched the crossover and rear speakers, giving each front speaker the full 50w each, the sound really came alive! WAY more dynamic response and a sound stage that makes it sound like your music is on the hood of your car. 

Just my $.02

You could run a four channel amp or just a simple 2 channel. Components use a crossover that only requires one input per side (Left+Right aka 2 channel.) Bass response will depend on you sound damping/deadening the doors. Tweeter in door panels near door handle always sounded great in my civic's.

Under Construction

On 8/11/2019 at 7:36 PM, hifonix said:

You could run a four channel amp or just a simple 2 channel. Components use a crossover that only requires one input per side (Left+Right aka 2 channel.) Bass response will depend on you sound damping/deadening the doors. Tweeter in door panels near door handle always sounded great in my civic's.

All components or just some components? And yea definitely plan on sound deadening doors for best bass response! :)

Archived