Sundown Audio

Issue with my skar amp?

Hostility

I’ve been out of the car audio scene for about 8 or more years.. finally getting back into it a bit. Picked up a used skar rp1500.1 amp. Saw it working. Bought a new sundown sa10. Wired to 1ohm I set my gain with my scope, then set up all my filters after. Lpf is around 80hz. My issue is, with the gain set to where it needs to be before clipping it’s about 1/4 the way. I can turn my pioneer touch screen up to 40 and I don’t get clipping on the rca’s so I turn it up to 40 and ran Rockford fosgates 40hz -5db off of Spotify as I use that for music. But when I set the gain and plug my sub in it’s super weak. I had to crank the gain up 1/2 to 3/4 to actually get it to give decent bass and even then sounds like 💩 to me. Not sure if it’s the box or this amp as it sounds like it’s getting 500watts not 1500 watts ( I know what the subs rated for, I ran sundowns before).. any ideas? Box is 1 cube ported to 35hz as per sundowns specs and 15sq inches of port.

99 s10 4.3L

Big 3

220amp alt

Odyssey 1500

Odyssey 2150

Northstar NSB 75

Sundown Audio 3500D

Sundown Audio 125.2

3 Sundown Audio SA-12's

Alpine H/U

RF Power Comp set 6.5"

RF 3 sixty line driver

5.25 cubes @ 31hz

1cube ported is small, us it an 8" sub? Even then that's small on a ported enclosure

But check your gains again with all filters set you can probably turn them up more before distortion now so it's wise to recheck with lpf settings where you want them

6 hours ago, AaronT said:

1cube ported is small, us it an 8" sub? Even then that's small on a ported enclosure

But check your gains again with all filters set you can probably turn them up more before distortion now so it's wise to recheck with lpf settings where you want them

sundowns website recommends 1 cube for ported for the sa-10. Tuned to 35hz so that’s what I built. I also built it to spec and not bigger as I was feeding it double the rated rms.

i re checked my gains after I hooked it up and had pretty much no bass from it. So either I’m using a bad test tone or something else is going on... I re checked all my settings like 5 times lol

99 s10 4.3L

Big 3

220amp alt

Odyssey 1500

Odyssey 2150

Northstar NSB 75

Sundown Audio 3500D

Sundown Audio 125.2

3 Sundown Audio SA-12's

Alpine H/U

RF Power Comp set 6.5"

RF 3 sixty line driver

5.25 cubes @ 31hz

Try unplugging one RCA on the amp and see if the sound changes. While system is running.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

I never buy used audio equipment unless its from a friend i really trust. May be an amp issue. May be your box. It could even b that your expecting more from a lil 10 than it can provide. Do you have a diff amp to switch out and check?

38 minutes ago, mathewyocham said:

I never buy used audio equipment unless its from a friend i really trust. May be an amp issue. May be your box. It could even b that your expecting more from a lil 10 than it can provide. Do you have a diff amp to switch out and check?

No I don’t unfortunately. I would have expected more from it especially with 1500 watts. I may need to re check or try a different test tone from some where other then Spotify. I just need to figure out how through my iPhone cable 

Just now, strangeduck said:

What test tone did you use? If it's a 0db tone that might be the issue. Try a -5 or -10db tone

I used 40hz -5db. Was trying to be conservative considering I was feeding the sub double the power.

99 s10 4.3L

Big 3

220amp alt

Odyssey 1500

Odyssey 2150

Northstar NSB 75

Sundown Audio 3500D

Sundown Audio 125.2

3 Sundown Audio SA-12's

Alpine H/U

RF Power Comp set 6.5"

RF 3 sixty line driver

5.25 cubes @ 31hz

29 minutes ago, Hostility said:

No I don’t unfortunately. I would have expected more from it especially with 1500 watts. I may need to re check or try a different test tone from some where other then Spotify. I just need to figure out how through my iPhone cable 

I used 40hz -5db. Was trying to be conservative considering I was feeding the sub double the power.

Maybe power compression? When I ran 1500 watts to a pair of 250 watt subs I only gained 1db going to 2500 watts 

Ok so update... I downloaded the test tones from this forum. Used them and same thing. I then looked into “bass boost” from my head unit and it goes from 0 to +7. I turned it up to +3 as I already set the gains at bass boost level 0 and at +3 the sub came alive! Tones of moment and meets my expectations. So now should I re do my gains with bass boost at +7? Or leave it alone or am I going to be clipping now with bass boost on top of my already set gains?

99 s10 4.3L

Big 3

220amp alt

Odyssey 1500

Odyssey 2150

Northstar NSB 75

Sundown Audio 3500D

Sundown Audio 125.2

3 Sundown Audio SA-12's

Alpine H/U

RF Power Comp set 6.5"

RF 3 sixty line driver