Second Skin Audio

Prefab box or custom box?

josephj86

Ok here's my question I have a q bomb box for 2 12s it says its 2.25 per chamber so 4.5 total cu ft and it says it tuned to 42hrtz, dimensions are 30w, 22.5L, 14h it sounds good and all but my subs enclosure recommends 2.5 cu ft per sub tuned to 32hrtz so I'm looking into getting a custom box made the new box will be the same width and height due to my trunk space, will there be a difference in my bass output? Any input would be greatly appreciated thanks 

Yeah there will be a difference in output.  2.25 vs 2.5 cu ft net per sub isn't going to make a big change, but going from a 42 Hz tuning frequency to a 32 Hz tuning is going to result in noticeably better lower frequency output.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Those are some sick looking boxes man very nice, I would try build the box my self but I have no idea how to tune a box I actually dont know anything about building a box I've done everything else on my build by myself, starting price for a custom box up here in Canada is 600 

Not sure what subs or amp you are using but here is a comparison of what it would do to 2 SSA Icon's going from a 4.5 @ 42 box to a 5.0 @ 32.  (The 32hz is the lines pushed further left).  Hopefully this helps you visualize and imagine the difference in sound :)

term.png

Archived