Second Skin Audio

Will dsp solve my problem, lack of low end power

Ok so here is my issue. 2019 silverado 2500 Duramax, trying to keep factory head unit. So far it has the pac factory integration module installed to get signal to rear, next is t1500bdcp powering 4 10” Jl w3 in sealed box, mostly fiberglass some mdf. Install is clean but lacks the power I am looking for. This was my stage 1, stage 2 is coming in about a month and will be Rockford 360.3, t600.4, t400x2ad. Powering focal ps165f3 3 way components. The focal tweeters will be split onto 2 channels (2 per channel) and the mid bass will get their own channels (semi active?). Then Rockford coax in rear. 

My issue is the subs are in and they sound clean but don’t deliver the power I am looking for (30% less). Will getting the Rockford 360 in allow  access the signal to those subs and increase/sharpen it up across the board enough to make a difference or Am I always gonna be somewhat stuck with power there is now? I am posting this now because I am concerned I might need to pull the plug on those jls now before it gets too far and go a different direction. Space is a real issue in this truck and it seemed the best option for power at the time vs slim subs or 6.5-8” subs under seat in a ported enclosure. Need some input guys.

note- my other vehicle is a pathfinder with 4 12” jl w3 in a ported enclosure tuned to 32 hz and it delivers exactly the amount of power I like.

9F414EC2-077B-4967-829B-4FCB00BBE305.jpeg

A DSP probably isn’t going to do what you want. DSPs can’t make things louder, only quieter. 

What a DSP can do is turn down the higher sub frequencies (above 45 Hz for example) so the lower frequencies (below 45 Hz) sound louder relative to the higher ones. This will only help you if you aren’t already pushing your subs to the max at lower frequencies. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I personally would look into different subs not a fan if JL lower end subs .. wouldn’t buy anything less then the w6 if I would go JL ... and I’d go with a porter box even if you have to drop 2 subs I’m assuming with your post you want it to sound like your other car not going to happen with those subs and a sealed box

What are you settings on the factory radio right now?  And is it a Bose system truck? 

We have a 1500 Z71/LTZ and found we needed to have the bass setting maxed out to get some decent response from that system.  Just curious what you have yours setup like!

• 3 weeks later...

After further investigation I found a poorly connected speaker wire to 2 subs. Came to life a bit better after this was resolved. As far as factory settings, bass is set to about 45%, when I go above this it does gain some power(dirty power), but it distorts the miss badly. This is kind of the source of my issue. My thinking here (correct me if I am wrong) is that once mids/highs and dsp go in I will be able to properly separate signals and control sub frequency/level on the signal side precisely and push it harder while still maintaining control over the rest of the system. I am hoping to squeeze another 20% from subs while maintaining clarity.

Archived