Second Skin Audio

To spec or not to spec?

BassAddikt

the 3 cubes recommended is net volume excluding sub displacement and port volume.  You're on the right track just missing a couple small things that are making the difference between what you come up with and what the program show.  But you're learning and doing your homework! :)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys sorry for not replying, been busy with work the last few days. So, the 3 cu ft per sub is only the net volume, and with 0.16 cu ft of sub displacement, that would mean the airspace for the subs alone would need to be 11.3 cu ft, correct? Alright, using my design for example (in the pic) would the volume of the red highlighted area be considered part of the airspace for the subs, or be considered as part of the port volume? I think thats the part thats kinda confusing me. The volume for the box part itself (excluding red area and port) comes out at like 12.1 cu ft. But since that is without the subs, I would subtract the displacement from that, giving me about 11.4 cu ft. Am I right? And what do I consider the red area to be apart of and do i add or subtract the volume of the red area to/from whatever part it is. I hope this makes sense lol I almost confused myself typing and explaining SMH

Procast box red area.jpg

The red area is going to count as port volume.  

Quick question for you,  what is the length of measurement A and measurement B in your design?

image.png.1c027419670d6814553be648e2e6bbc8.png

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

9 hours ago, BassAddikt said:

Does the bottom measurement (B) need to be the same as measurement A?

Yes, its needs to be the same, or greater.  

Also, the effective length of your port is going to include going around the corner at the bottom like this:

image.png.4f1da4d57ce3a26efa2aa1f47245e5fe.png

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

3 hours ago, BassAddikt said:

Alright cool..well as far as everything else goes, does it look like it’ll perform well?

Yeah, are you planning having a double baffle?  You will want bracing as well. 

Builds:

23 minutes ago, BassAddikt said:

It will be braced, yes. As for the double baffle, is that necessary? I will double baffle it if I need to

If your bracing is really good you don't absolutely need it.  But it would be a good idea of you can make it fit.  It lets you flush mount the subs too, which looks nice IMHO.  

Builds:

Archived