Second Skin Audio

To spec or not to spec?

BassAddikt

Alright cool. I appreciate the responses and advice. Only two questions- I went ahead and designed another box (pic below) just because I was bored, but this one has two subs on the side and two facing up, with the port in the middle on the side. I designed it to be able to have the subs on the side regular mounted and the two on top inverted. Would that work out fine? My other question is based from another guy's response on here- does having the port on the side, facing the rear, make it louder than having it facing up (like in my design) or facing forward toward the cabin?

Inverted box design xray.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That layout should work fine, just be sure to reverse the polarity on the inverted subs so they are in phase with the others.  

As far as which direction your port faces, it somewhat depends on what vehicle you have, but usually pointed back or up is best.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Alright....about that- I know what it means to reverse polarity on speakers...and I know how to wire my subs (dvc) down to the ohm load I need....BUT, how the heck do I reverse the polarity on two subs while still keeping the final ohm load where it needs to be? The subs are dual 4 and I need the ohm load to be 2

On 8/15/2019 at 1:38 AM, BassAddikt said:

Yes, that is correct. I modeled his box in sketchup so it would be easier to see. The port is 15"x3" and only 7.5" deep. He says its tuned to 29hz. After reading alot on this forum, I came to the conclusion that 45 sq in in nowhere near enough for 4 15s. The manufacturer specs say 35 sq in @ 14" long, and thats the specs for a single driver. So, I figured if you multiply that by 4, you get approx. 140 sq in or so. But here's the box he built, which is currently what is in my expedition. Don't get me wrong- it sounds pretty good and gets decently loud but I feel like they have so much more potential if they were in a properly designed box.

Current box xray.jpg

with a design like this depending where the subs are you could shave off 15-20% of the port volume off i think and much higher tuning than intended. Your feeling of more potential i will say is more than correct at this moment in my opinion.

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

6 hours ago, BassAddikt said:

Alright....about that- I know what it means to reverse polarity on speakers...and I know how to wire my subs (dvc) down to the ohm load I need....BUT, how the heck do I reverse the polarity on two subs while still keeping the final ohm load where it needs to be? The subs are dual 4 and I need the ohm load to be 2

Wire it just like you always do BUT put the pos to neg and neg to pos on the inverted subs ONLY.

Archived