Second Skin Audio

Amp keeps going into protection and subs sound blown

Tway4231

So my two re audio srx 12” 2ohm are wired to my Rockford fosgate prime 750.1 wired to two ohms. It was working fine then one day it started cutting out. All the wiring seems fine. I have checked all my wiring by using a multi meter. The only thing i have found is that when driving and subs are connected and the multi meter is connected to the speaker wire and set to ohm or voltage it jumps up and down. But when everything is unplugged and sub box and tested on ohm is reads 2.5-2.8( crappy multimeter). I can’t tell if it’s just the crappy speaker wire i bought from auto zone(12 guage), a bad ground, or something wrong with my amp. PLEASE HELP!!! Thank you!

3 hours ago, Tway4231 said:

Also hooked each sub to the multimeter and it all read fine for ohm. Also what does music is dynamic boss mean? Sorry still new

It means that your readings are going to fluctuate like they did. Using a test tone and the reading will be flat. 

For the voltage: Music isn't a sine wave. it has peaks in intensity. That's what makes it sound like music and not a tone. Measuring voltage in this manner would only really confirm that you have output

For the resistance, or impedance, depending on what you're measuring: You can't measure the resistance of something while power is applied.

As to your issue: Clarify what you mean by cutting in and out. You mentioned amp protection in your title, but I didn't see anything in your post that elaborated on it. Under what conditions does it happen? And besides checking for output on the amp, what else have you taken a peek at?

If it were me, a precursory check for this sort of issue would include:
- Pushing the subs in and out by hand to listen for any mechanical noise
- A visual inspection of the tinsel leads
- Verification that all speaker wires and connections are tight and have no frays or loose ends
- Ohming out each individual coil on each individual speaker
- Verification that RCAs are in
- And measuring the DC voltage at the amp's power input terminals with the volume raised

Thanks so much cause its starting to make some sense. So my amp with go in and out protection mode anytime head unit’s volume is an 1/2 way and gain turned a quarter of the way on amp. And it was just randomly one day it started. Everything was fine for awhile. I’ve tested both subs with pushing and with multi meter (read correctly), rca were tested and work properly, and no voltage drop to amp (thats what i thought it could be because wire is slightly being pinched). And i will have to take more of a clear look at the tinsel leads, but them seemed fine. Any other suggestions? M

Archived