Second Skin Audio

Soundqubed 8's and guidance

Bingo6104

Hi all. I am in need in some guidance. I am currently running 2 soundqubed 8's in a 4th order with a 6 inch aero bap. I have it powered with a dB drive 1200.1. They seem like that could take a lot more power. I've been searching around and have seen people put up to 8k on them. So what is your alls opinions on what would be a good power range to put on them? I'm running good electrical with 02 welding cable, agm up front and replacing my other agm in the back. Hell with the big 3 lol, I got like the big 7 due to shift lag on my Infiniti. Voltage at the moment doesn't drop below 13.2. Alternator is next. 

Would something like a 3k Taramps be good for me? I'm still undecided if I would add anymore subs in the trunk to get a bigger amp. I like the convenience of unplugging my current set up and taking it out for family get aways. 

Without sounding like a smartass, if you need to ask, you shouldn't.

With enough time and experience, you begin to pick up on the subtle queues when a driver is being pushed too hard. The RMS rating becomes just a number at that point and it becomes a game of how much power you can feed your specific build safely. Can get louder, sure, but that also comes with the caveat that you need to be mindful and observant of how your equipment is behaving. Goof, and you'll blow stuff up pretty quickly.

• 1 month later...

I have 4 hds2.108 on 3k ,they stink after a good beat down wide open ( about 20 minutes or so) but play all day at moderate volume. These things are complete monsters, I'm not too far over rms ratings tho. I'd say a good 1500-1800 ish in a proper designed box you shouldn't have any issues. I used the port calculator from Triticum and has a TON of port volume but man these things move a TON of air. I never would have thought an 8 would just eat 32hz with so much authority.

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

Archived