Second Skin Audio

Question about port to wall spacing

jkmoore1987

Hey everyone, I'd like some input on the port in an enclosure I am building. It will be for two subs, up firing, with a rear firing port. This is a shared volume box. In my modeling, the inside ends of my port are coming in at 5 5/8" from the rear wall of the enclosure. The port is 9.5" wide, so if the port needed to be longer the side extensions would need to be 4.75" wide. But it doesn't need to be any longer, and I'm wondering if the 5 5/8" of space left is enough clearance that the tuning or airflow won't be affected. I've never ran into this issue, with a port running that close to the wall. Any thought? Will it work, or should I look at other port options (aero port, running the port along the bottom width of the enclosure, etc.)?

If I’m understanding you correctly, the tuning will probably come out lower than you intend. 

If you could post a picture of your design that would help. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Yeah, that will definitely lower your tuning.   It shouldn't hurt performance otherwise, but tuning will be affected.  If it were my I'd put a wedge deflector on the back panel to improve airflow.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

Good idea on the wedge. The spec of this box is 14 cu. ft. net tuned at 32 hz for 2 Fi BTL 4 18s. Any ideas how badly it would effect tuning? I don’t care if it drops 1 or 2 hz, just not wanting it to end up in the mid 20s or something. If it were you would you stick with this or entertain a different port style? Your enclosure pics are very nice btw. Thanks for your help. 

It shouldn't lower the tuning much.  Maybe two Hz.  What is the internal height of your box?  I'll check your numbers. 

Builds:

18 hours ago, jkmoore1987 said:

It’s 24 1/4” tall inside.

So based on the dimensions you gave, I estimate your tuning will come out at about 29 Hz.  

Builds:

Archived