Sonic Electronix

Couple of quick questions for a noob !

Hello all this is my first post . 

I have been out of car audio for 12+ years , I just recently got sparked back up and picked up a new head unit , amp and prefab box with a 12" sub 

I have a couple of quick questions on some set up , I do not have a distortion detector and really dont have the change to spend on one right now but do plan to when my budget allows for it . I understand this could be the root of my problem and if not certainly does not help the situation so be easy on me please . 

I set my gain by ear , and also used a multi meter with the formula to double check with my volume of the hedunit set at 25/35 or 75% with a 40hz test tone from youtube . 

My main concern is , i only really get pretty good bass on bass boosted tracks from youtube , normal songs dont really even hit that well. If i play a normal unedited song it just really sounds  no different then a stock premium audio system in most newer vehicles .  Even when i use these tracks my clipping varies and the sub will get smelly so i turn it down . 

Gray areas i need help with , setting LPF , and Subsonic filter . And also im using Bluetooth through my headunit to play audio not sure if that is preferred or should i use aux , or usb? 

Any words of wisdom or help is greatly appriciated . 

The equipment im using is as follow 

Kenwood Excelon kdc-502 headunit 
Digital Designs DM500a monoblock rated at 500w rms @ 1 ohm
Digital Designs LE-m12 prefab enclosure with 12"subwoofer it is wired at 1 Ohm 

1 hour ago, Mike4068 said:

I get clipping with Bluetooth on my note 9 so I use aux where I have none. 80 hz is a good starting point for your lpf. Ssf isn't needed if you have a sealed box. If you have a ported box it's really a matter of what it's tuned to. 

Thanks for the response , seems pretty dead here now . 

And the prefab box is ported and according to the website it is tuned around 40 hz . 

Also would not having my eq completely flat cause any issues maybe ? Because I think I have some added mis and treble that I never actually adjusted . 

8 hours ago, Mike4068 said:

What's the slope of your infrasonic filter? If you are adjusting eq you should be removing peaks and not boosting dips. Those frequencies don't have anything to do with your sub though.

Yeah your completely correct , so right now I'm digging into the head unit . It has far more cross overs and eq adjustments then I realized . I'm pretty confident I'm over driving the speaker with power . I mean it gets pretty hot when ran at the top . If I run it at peak frequency around 40 hz I can slam it no problem and its loud all the way up at the right around where I gain matched the head unit at . . But anytbing with lows in it heats it up very quickly and It starts getting smelly . Any suggestions on that ? 

Also any help with a procedure on setting my subsonic filter would be helpful . Because I'm not really sure what it's set at . 

1 hour ago, Mike4068 said:

Is the sub brand new? Answer my previous question about your filter and I'll try to help you. 

Yeah I bought the sub about a week ago . Havent played it to mucb just back and fourth to work . 

And as for the question on the infrasonic filter , I'm not to sure . I think you are referring to what my amp has labeled as the subsonic filter correct ? If so I'm not sure what it's set too. kind of a gray area for me. 

You are probably just smelling excess glue burning off the coil. That's normal. As long as you aren't sending it dirty power it'll go away and you'll be fine. Give it a week or so maybe longer if you don't play it much. The slope of that filter will determine where you will set it so you need to get your manual out and see. 

8 hours ago, Mike4068 said:

You are probably just smelling excess glue burning off the coil. That's normal. As long as you aren't sending it dirty power it'll go away and you'll be fine. Give it a week or so maybe longer if you don't play it much. The slope of that filter will determine where you will set it so you need to get your manual out and see. 

Ok thanks alot man , I still think I'm going to build a box for it . I'm going to do some more digging into it when I have a chance I appreciate your willingness to help . 

Archived