Sonic Electronix

pulling my hair out chasing a gremlin

I realize snow drifter you don't believe I know my stuff  and   Im ok with that but your statement

14v+ at amp rules out power supply to all degrees. We could chit chat about the benefits of wiring upgrades but as far as OP's issue goes, that's not it.

So now we're looking at upstream and downstream signals

so now "you" are looking at signals if this is entirely true as a signal issue a new amp would have resolved the issue  right?  bypassing the head unit also says it aint the HU and he had to use another rca set to plug in his ipod   so  new amp and new rca tells me  it is not upstream         my opinion is its a ground thats failing          something is breaking down with heat

dont see a resistance reading of the sub or the wires leading to the sub, also he states  tried a new sub, so wires out of the amp to the sub is the  likely suspect

could be a sub wiring issue but thats a 20 minute fix right? just bust out some new wire and the soldering iron

I still think its a ground issue

and to be honest we 'see" nothing because we dont have pics!!  :(

On 8/25/2019 at 11:38 AM, Brapster247 said:

ok let me just start this out  saying that I'm not an idiot, I work as a residential/commercial electrician I've done at least 30 car audio installs over the past 10+ years and besides the occasional little stupid problem here and there I have never been this stumped before. With that being said this is my own vehicle that I'm having problems with

2012 chevy Silverado extended cab totally stock electrical wise besides a optima red top

the setup: Kenwood double din h/u, alpine 500w the cheap one mbp-500 or something like that, jl audio 12tw3 the slim sub under my back seat in a little sealed box with 10 gauge leads 4 ohm dvc in parallel for a 2 ohm load, rockford 1 farad capacitor because I had a bit of headlight dimming, and a rockford 4 gauge wiring kit

now this is where the story starts, this setup has been in my truck for the past 3 years with 0 issues and gets used to its full potential everyday. I mean I've had the volume up for the better part of 8 hour road trips and whatnot it has taken much abuse. so one day I was driving to get a burrito it was about a 20 minute drive and I was bumping slim thug the whole way I was almost there'd I lowered the volume a bit, I smelled something like metal burning and just figured damn the van in front of me must be dragging brake pads or something but after I got my burrito which by the way was great, I got back in my truck to find out I had no bass it was making a a bit of a grinding noise if I turned it up but very faint. I figured ok I burnt something up that was the smell I smelt earlier so I was going to have to do some trouble shooting, this is where it started to get expensive. 

first checked all my wires they were all good so I assume the 500 watt max amp maybe cooked my 400 watt max sub I did have the gain about 3/4, so I took a alpine type s sub I had laying around that I knew worked and hooked it up to get the same very low noise I would call it a grinding or crunching noise. at this point I assumed now ok there is a problem with the amp which was only $100 so I thought ok yea its a pos it did its job lets retire it. went to a local electronic store and bought the alpine s-60 a 600 watt amp that was double the price of the old one great lets go put it in. I get home and install the amp I take that shit type s out and put the jl back in because I think the amp was the problem. everything's buttoned up and I turn it on and I have bass notes again hooray but after I left my house to turn it up (my neighbors still like me) at about half volume the bass cuts out and it goes to a louder cracking and grinding noise for about 10 seconds then the amp goes into protect mode. ok now I'm getting angry I just bought a amp I probably didn't need I go home and I start trouble shooting the wiring, I change the ground to a different spot still does the same thing, I disconnect the capacitor  and run the power right to the amp same thing, I use a rca to aux cord with just my iPod same thing, I try using the rear output on the deck instead of the sub output same, I try a different set of rcas same thing, at this point I'm thinking its got to be a problem with the subwoofer all these different things haven't made a difference the sub is the only thing that stayed the same so I start shopping around. I wasn't spending another $350 for another jl when this one cooked off a cheap amp so I come across an American bass 12 never seen one in person but judging from the reviews the people say its a good sub and it was 800 watt rms 1500 max which Is was got my attention and it was only $160 so I ordered it. now I finally got it and put it in and surprise it does the same damn thing  little bit of bass at lower volumes but when you turn it up you get that god awful noise that makes you cringe. so now I have a new sub and new amp for no reason and still can't get my rearview shaking. at this point I'm getting ready to just take it all out but as I'm sure you know bass is addictive and I've always had it in some form and I can't really do without it.

please don't crucify me and tell me to search the forums and whatnot, believe me ive spent days researching and thinking about what could be wrong I was hoping someone with more experience would be able to help guide me in the right direction because at this point this shits got me pulling my hair out please someone help steer me in the right direction

did nobody notice the gain level 3/4 is quite a lot

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

Archived