Second Skin Audio

Subs with adjustable impedance?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, ToNasty said:

If you have a d2 ohm sub. It can only be wired to 1 ohm or 4 ohm. Or a d4 sub can be wired to 8 ohm or 2 ohm.  

Fully understand how to do the math.  This one doesn't work that way, or the switch is labeled incorrectly (I've never measured one, but have seen them).  I don't know what they've done here. 

Maybe, as another poster mentioned, they're dropping a coil, but we know that would affect power handling and they don't seem to mention that, so.............I dunno.

Well that Audiofrog one says in the description "select a 2 or 8 ohm configuration" and it's DVC4 so yeah just a series/parallel switch. The JBL one is weird though, 2 or 4 ohms....It has to be switching in and out power components of some kind, that's certain because you can't change impedance otherwise and the components have to be able to handle the power. My guess is quad coils, 2 parallel sets of 4 ohm and 8 ohm, and the switch switches between the two parallel sets.

• 4 months later...

They wouldn't be dropping a coil because that would completely change all of the t s parameters of their self unless there are two coils wound on that former one being to ohms in the other being forums and only one is used at a time I don't know that would make more sense than a transformer because the transformer you're going to lose all dampening factor

My Rockford Fosgate Power T1 12"  is switchable from 1 to 4 ohm.  It's a fused jumper, the sub has 4 inputs and the jumper switch rotates 180 between them and lands on the desired ohm load.  I keep in it 1 ohm. Never had a problem with it and was running 1K+ to it.

I love all the guys talking about the "easy impedance" setups on thier subs.

This isn't that, this is a different animal.

It's  between 2 and 4.

I also think they could be using a quad 1 ohm coil. And it's manipulation of how it connects each coil is controlled by switch 

Either that or 2 seperate single coils one 2 and one 4.

Archived