Subs with adjustable impedance?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/25/2020 at 11:24 PM, Kyblack76 said:

Like any of this matters....

Spite if your in the lanes.

Jesus.

No, it doesn't really matter as the sub will get the job done for me regardless, but I'm just curious as to how it works

That being said, I finally got my hands on one today (thanks to Sonic for hooking me up with a deal)

I plan on glassing a stealthbox in the 8th seat storage area of my daily beater (2016 Toyota Sienna)

I'm still a bit stumped as to how they accomplish a 2 and 4 ohm switch 🤔

I had a few weird ideas rolling around in my head:

1) "The two 4 ohm coils are wired in parallel for a 2ohm load and the switch simply cuts one of the coils for a 4ohm load"

Using one of two coils isn't unheard of, but as others have mentioned already, the power rating will change if done this way...

2) "It uses a 2ohm coil and a 4 ohm coil and the switch just allows you to switch between them independently"

I've never seen a DVC sub with coils that didn't match, but I figure if they did it this way, the power rating would be the same in either position

3) "It uses a simple resistor or inductor to change impedance"

I figure sumthin like this might work, but also suck up more power while creating heat when switched

Anyhoo, as you can see in the pix, the sub has two pairs of leads just like a traditional DVC sub, but they're both connected to the switch/terminal that has some kinda circuit board behind it with some flimsy lookin wire 🤨

When switched to the 2ohm mode, I get 2ohms at both pairs of leads as well as the switch/terminal

When switched to the 4ohm mode, I get 3.6-3.7ohms at leads and 4ohms at the switch/terminal

So the idea of the switch actually cutting one of the coils pretty much gets thrown out the window cause they all basically read the same impedance all around.

Apart from the tiny wire and somewhat exposed circuit board on the switch, it appears to be a solid sub 

JBLStadiumSub (20).JPG

JBLStadiumSub (21).JPG

JBLStadiumSub (22).JPG

JBLStadiumSub (23).JPG

JBLStadiumSub (7).jpg

JBLStadiumSub (8).jpg

JBLStadiumSub (9).jpg

JBLStadiumSub (10).jpg

JBLStadiumSub (11).jpg

JBLStadiumSub (12).jpg

JBLStadiumSub (13).jpg

JBLStadiumSub (14).jpg

JBLStadiumSub (15).jpg

JBLStadiumSub (16).jpg

JBLStadiumSub (17).jpg

JBLStadiumSub (18).jpg

JBLStadiumSub (19).jpg

JBLStadiumSub (2).jpg

JBLStadiumSub (3).jpg

JBLStadiumSub (4).jpg

JBLStadiumSub (5).jpg

JBLStadiumSub (6).jpg

JBLStadiumSub (1).jpg

• 4 months later...
56 minutes ago, 98 SNAKE EATER said:

So how exactly does this switch work? (and don't say side to side lol)

There’s no other way to say it lol! Flip it to one side, it’s 2 ohms. Flip it to the other side, it’s 4 ohms. Use a dmm to find out which side is which when it comes to impedance load. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Lol

What I mean is how does the switch actually work to change the impedance?

Is it simply a resistor or is it an added VC like the Kappa SSI in the video?

There's a pair of leads to the left and right of the main switch, so I'm thinking it may very well be a tripple VC as the video suggests

JBLStadium-Sub-2.jpg

JBLStadium-Sub-9.jpg

JBLStadium-Sub-8.jpg

1 hour ago, 98 SNAKE EATER said:

Lol

What I mean is how does the switch actually work to change the impedance?

Is it simply a resistor or is it an added VC like the Kappa SSI in the video?

There's a pair of leads to the left and right of the main switch, so I'm thinking it may very well be a tripple VC as the video suggests

JBLStadium-Sub-2.jpg

JBLStadium-Sub-9.jpg

JBLStadium-Sub-8.jpg

I just read the manual on that subwoofer. The only place you plug in at is that orange terminal as if it were a single voice coil subwoofer. The other terminals aren’t used to plug to. But they serve a purpose on functionality in unison with the orange terminal you plug into. Only plug into the orange terminal and pick an impedance. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Archived