Second Skin Audio

Infra/subsonic filters?

Booger weldz

On 8/29/2019 at 10:22 PM, Casparado said:

I'm curious to know as well. I'm designing a T-line box and the only thing stopping me is that my sub will reach over twice its recommended excursion at 20Hz, and my cheapo Kenwood 500w amp has no damn subsonic filter.... (Nor does my head unit) 

I don't want to go bigger with the amp yet, as I doubt I will need it with such a sensitive enclosure, nor do I want to scrap my wires and run bigger everything (that will also require more electrical reserve etc etc etc).

An easy fix would be a 'plug and play' subsonic filter. 

Your going through the intricate trouble of designing a proper t-line, as well as builfing it, and your going to bottle neck performance with a 500 watt Kenwood that probably doesn't even do 500 watts?

Why?

On 9/2/2019 at 11:47 AM, AaronT said:

Your going through the intricate trouble of designing a proper t-line, as well as builfing it, and your going to bottle neck performance with a 500 watt Kenwood that probably doesn't even do 500 watts?

Why?

I'm working with what I've got at the moment.

This all started with my spending a few hundred upgrading the sound in my work truck... and then the bug bit me. Now I've got big plans, but not so big pockets when it comes to things that don't make me money back. 

As for the T-Line box, they're super efficient so I doubt I will even come close to using the whole 500w. Right now the B2 sub sounds pretty amazing in a crappy prefab enclosure, so I am excited to see what it can do in a well built vented enclosure. Plus I am a builder by trade and I just enjoy getting my hands dirty and trying new things. The T-line box seemed like a great fit since I have the room. That being said, HornResp says it will try and push double its rated excursion at 20Hz, so I don't want to blow it because of something as simple as a subsonic filter. 

Anyway... the amp is going to get upgraded eventually,most likely when I also get around to getting another B2. But in the meantime, I am going to probably build a couple enclosures and see what I like the best. (For me lumber and fasteners are cheap.) Now time to do it all... that's the real b!tch. 

27 minutes ago, Casparado said:

I'm working with what I've got at the moment.

This all started with my spending a few hundred upgrading the sound in my work truck... and then the bug bit me. Now I've got big plans, but not so big pockets when it comes to things that don't make me money back. 

As for the T-Line box, they're super efficient so I doubt I will even come close to using the whole 500w. Right now the B2 sub sounds pretty amazing in a crappy prefab enclosure, so I am excited to see what it can do in a well built vented enclosure. Plus I am a builder by trade and I just enjoy getting my hands dirty and trying new things. The T-line box seemed like a great fit since I have the room. That being said, HornResp says it will try and push double its rated excursion at 20Hz, so I don't want to blow it because of something as simple as a subsonic filter. 

Anyway... the amp is going to get upgraded eventually,most likely when I also get around to getting another B2. But in the meantime, I am going to probably build a couple enclosures and see what I like the best. (For me lumber and fasteners are cheap.) Now time to do it all... that's the real b!tch. 

Ah ok, B2. My bad carry on. Give her something more respectable than  a Kenwood though 

You know what amps big d just tested that shocked the shit out of me? Those nvx micro Amos the older style plastic body one and it's replacement the jad m1.

The plastic body did over 700 watts RMS at 1 ohm and the newer aluminum body did around 567 at 1 ohm. It's rated 500 both.

Can be had for 139 and 159 respectively

Archived