Second Skin Audio

Infra/subsonic filters?

Booger weldz

I need to high pass at 25-27 hertz to protect a sub. My amp doesnt  have this feature unfortunately. Is there an inline device or something commonly used for this at the RCA cable level ?  Thanks for any pointers👍🏻

IDK what your setup is to say if this is a good idea or not, but there is a TON of cheap and powerful amps out there with this feature.  Unless you spent a fortune on what you have now (and not knowing what subs etc you have) you could just replace the amp and make life easy!  I just swapped to a Skar RP2000 and it was like $220 new.  Kinda hard to beat a 2k watt amp for that price!

I'm curious to know as well. I'm designing a T-line box and the only thing stopping me is that my sub will reach over twice its recommended excursion at 20Hz, and my cheapo Kenwood 500w amp has no damn subsonic filter.... (Nor does my head unit) 

I don't want to go bigger with the amp yet, as I doubt I will need it with such a sensitive enclosure, nor do I want to scrap my wires and run bigger everything (that will also require more electrical reserve etc etc etc).

An easy fix would be a 'plug and play' subsonic filter. 

On 8/29/2019 at 7:22 PM, Casparado said:

I'm curious to know as well. I'm designing a T-line box and the only thing stopping me is that my sub will reach over twice its recommended excursion at 20Hz, and my cheapo Kenwood 500w amp has no damn subsonic filter.... (Nor does my head unit) 

I don't want to go bigger with the amp yet, as I doubt I will need it with such a sensitive enclosure, nor do I want to scrap my wires and run bigger everything (that will also require more electrical reserve etc etc etc).

An easy fix would be a 'plug and play' subsonic filter. 

I have the same problem. Just finished another 1/4 MLTL and definitely dont need any more power or subs in my 4runner or my sons gti.  These have a bandwidth so wide im scared to put a <22)hz tone to it at even half volume as it might rip the RF p3d2 in half. I have no idea how low this will blow out the terminus...  its EQed at 50 a bit to regulate the cabin gain in the small suv and hatchback shapes. its a 33ish tune and 37 on sons  visually from observing cone movement through a frequency generator .

It hurts and surrounding vague vibes in car parts are heard, but the sub is ghostly to my not yet totally tone def ears at 18(phone app). Could actually be 26 for all I know. I think its time to play with hornResp...

I found ‘gold  plated’ rca inline 20/30/50 hz hpf at parts express that are made by ‘harrison labs’. Theyre a 12db drop...$28/pair<—-that kinda silly? Pair... 

Audiocontrol 2XS has a built in subsonic filter of 33hz and you can change it by changing out the resistor pack or making your own resistor pack.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

5 hours ago, Booger weldz said:

I have the same problem. Just finished another 1/4 MLTL and definitely dont need any more power or subs in my 4runner or my sons gti.  These have a bandwidth so wide im scared to put a <22)hz tone to it at even half volume as it might rip the RF p3d2 in half. I have no idea how low this will blow out the terminus...  its EQed at 50 a bit to regulate the cabin gain in the small suv and hatchback shapes. its a 33ish tune and 37 on sons  visually from observing cone movement through a frequency generator .

It hurts and surrounding vague vibes in car parts are heard, but the sub is ghostly to my not yet totally tone def ears at 18(phone app). Could actually be 26 for all I know. I think its time to play with hornResp...

I found ‘gold  plated’ rca inline 20/30/50 hz hpf at parts express that are made by ‘harrison labs’. Theyre a 12db drop...$28/pair<—-that kinda silly? Pair... 

Those would work,  silly the price or that  they come in pairs? because of the wide range of uses like for multichannel applications just not for subwoofer applications is why they come in pairs 

4 hours ago, CstrokerV said:

Those would work,  silly the price or that  they come in pairs? because of the wide range of uses like for multichannel applications just not for subwoofer applications is why they come in pairs 

They  drop @-12dB. Think thats a good harm reduction from 20?  I really dont know?

yeah, i meant sold in pairs for low frequency signals was conveniently silly. I guess its only $14/each then, just find a friend to split the deal. My oldest son needs the same as i do in this case.

Archived