Second Skin Audio

American Bass XR 12-4 box design.

Scotnemily

So I looked at my router bits. I think I am going to try a small chamfer and see if I like it. If not I am going to make it small enough that I can go back over it with my 1/4 round over bit and change it.

here is a pic of how the ports can out. That thing I did about hammering in that plug and re cutting it seamed to have worked good.

395PCbt.jpg

Ok never mind I checked it out in the 3d model the chamfer would have to be so small it really look any different then the rounded edge at that size with the speaker in place. especially when it is black. I don't think it is worth the time to even try the chamfer. I will just do the 1/4 round over. Hopefully at lunch today. I will post some more pictures then.

😔 Ok SO I had a problem at lunch time. I was cutting the rounded edge with my router. The first hole went good. I got to the 2nd one and almost got all the way around and the bearing on my bit fell apart. I let go of the trigger and pulled the router away, but it was too late. Just a little more and I would have been home free.

XtXTPZx.jpg

Now I have this nasty gouge and still have some left to round over.

DDE5jqE.jpg

Time for the hand file.

0EpOitY.jpg

Ok rounded edge finished, now onto filling in that gouge. 

b4Ruffx.jpg

I love this stuff I use it everywhere. For those unfamiliar with it, it is a 2 part epoxy that molds like modeling clay. it can be smoothed with water while you are working with it. It doesn't shrink  chip or crack once it sets up. it can be sanded and painted.

here it is applied and unsanded.

B3lupDo.jpg

JyDajw5.jpg

it will need very minor touch up after it sets.

Here is how the speaker sets with the new rounded edge.

boAXAbH.jpg

Oh and here is how I am currently planning on wiring the DVC subwoofers.

IukT6Ti.jpg

I was out of heat shrink the size I needed so I just wrapped it up. this lets me run 8 gauge to each of the push terminals and keep it pretty clean. If it were gonna be seen, I would probably use a molded boot or something, but this will be hidden anyway so no problem. The connections in the wires was made by stripping the insulation back and brading the end into the other wire. then soldered, then wrapped in a good quality electrical tape. Surprisingly all of that only took about 40 mins.

That's all for now.

Sorry nothing exciting as far as pictures go. I did use the router this weekend and put a 3/8th rounded edge on the box. This presented some issues. I was originally planning on a 1/4" rounded edge and so I wasn't worried as much on my screw placement close to the edges. Since the bearing went out on my 1/4" bit (and it looks like somehow the threads that hold it on are stipped) I just used my 3/8" instead of buying another 1/4 right now. As a result I had to take some screws out before rounding the edge. Then I put them back. Next I used a grinder on a few to break the edged, then had to fill the holes with a filler and smooth it all out. I am still not finished with the sanding and filling process. Today I sanded for about 30 minutes and put filler in a few more places. Then because I am wanting to see the box looked more finished I through a coat of paint on the front. After it soaks in, I will put another coat or 2 on it, then start sanding it smooth, and painting again as needed. I am not going to do a lot of painting until next year. I don't have a heated place to do it, and I am not 100% sure yet what the end coat is going to be. Right now I wanted to seal the wood, and the paint makes it easier to see where I still need to sand and add filler. Here are the few pictures I took today just to add something for anyone that was wondering how it was going.

t14AOst.jpg

Just a top view You can see the screws I still need to work with and the rounded edge.

lNd2xHL.jpg

Just a rough coat of pain and more of the rounded edges.

EkG1nCQ.jpg

A little closer look.

GsUZ2E9.jpg

And just another view of the front.

That's all for now.

Still painting and sanding. nothing new with the box. I am still waiting on my amp to come in the mail. Sucks I just found out it is pushed back until November some time. I purchased it September 4th....

Quick question. since I probably wont get a chance to finish coating the box until warmer weather, it is pretty much done. I found out my amp isn't going to be here for at least another month. I kind of want to try this box out. I have 2 options (without buying another amp).

First option is put my lower powered subs I am using now in the box. The box specs aren't very far off. maybe 1/2 cubic ft per sub larger than needed.

2nd option Put the new subs and box in the car, but only run 200 RMS to each. They are rated 1200 RMS. not that 200 will hurt them, but is it even going to be worth doing? The XR 12's aren't as sensitive as my current ones so they shouldn't play as loud on the same power in the same box. Thoughts?

Well I thought I was going to put the subs and box in the car today at lunch and see what it sounded like on lower power.

An0m34E.jpg

Dang I am positive it fit before paint!

XjaOlbY.jpg

It won't go now though. Looks like I have to might the hole slightly larger. I am not sure yet If I can do it by hand or if I am going to have to break out the router again. Of course the sub is stuck in now and I can't just reach behind it and push it up. I have a feeling it is going to be a pain to get out. Glad it isn't one of the heavier subs...

I found the problem. It was the inner baffle. This side was tighter and really could have used another 1/16th inch larger hole. When I test fit the sub before it fit if it was rotated just right. This end rotation did not match what I wanted. I cut the inner baffle slightly larger and it fits good now.

• 2 weeks later...

Man those xrs are nice, built a box for a single xr in my buddies suburban on my old jbl gto 700 mono and it amazed me how it sounded . Can't imagine a pair of em on some real power. Tuned in to see em in action!

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

Thanks! I was planning already having them in and hearing them on lower power. Box is a little too big and bulky to put in by myself (without risking damage scratches ect..) And then I got in the middle of the install for the new Mids, So I took all of the factory stuff out over the weekend. I pulled the old subs and box out, and have to do some wiring in the trunk now to hook the 6 channel amp to the wires for the new mids and highs. Now I have no sound until this is done. :(  Oh well. maybe by the time I get that done, the new amp will have finally came in. I'll update this as I get anything done. 

Archived