Second Skin Audio

American Bass XR 12-4 box design.

Scotnemily

Two 4” ports won’t work. Way too little port area. If you want to use aero ports you need to use two 6” ports. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I figured that. I wanted to use the 6" anyway. I am  not sure I can fit them with a flare on them for the 6" ones. Would I be better off going with a slot port?

Here is what I currently have with 6" ports. I don't have all of the bracing for the ports yet. Would it be better to go with the 2 elbows like the bottom one, or 1 elbow like the top? both come up to the same length. right now these are 28.54" in length. and it is now showing a tune of around 33hz I think. thanks for the help!

Well I guess it has been decided for me. At least if I want the subs and port facing the front and pushed up fairly close the the back seat. I double checked and I only have 32" width MAX at the front base of the box. 6" round ports won't fit. I will need to use a slot port, if my subs and port are facing the front. My trunk is shaped a little funny. I will attach a quick sketch shortly of what I have to work with. Is it best to have the subs and port facing to the front of my car? or would it be better to have them facing another way? I didn't really want to make a funky shaped box, but I will do it or have it done if it is what is going to work best.

well I think A picture will work best to describe it. 

towards the rear seat it gets smaller before opening back up some. that smaller section is 32" if I go up above that hump I can gain another 2 inches, but I have to go up about 2 inches to do it. I don't have the extra vertical height for that.

Now there are a few things that come to mind.

1. If I don't push the box in as far it can be wider than the 32". I will lose trunk space, but I do not put anything back there ever. It is nice to have the option, but I just don't use the trunk.

2. Another option is to remove that grey panel shown above and hope there is enough room after doing that to fit it in there. I would prefer the trunk to look nice after it, so I would have to make the side of the box that faces the rear of the car fit the trunk space to close it off. I am not against this idea, it is just going to be a lot more work for a project I am questioning if I have the time to build a basic box.

3. If I put a thicker bottom on the box I can raise it up and go 2 inches wider. by doing this, I would have to have a sloped front on the box not square.

4. I could have either the subs, port, or both facing another direction. maybe the subs face the rear of the car and the port faces the front?  

5. maybe a totally different box design would be better anyway like a 4th order bandpass or something. I am open to ideas.

Thanks again for all of the help!

Ok so I can barely fit 6" round ports on the front. I am afraid there might not be enough strength doing this though.  as you can see the Subs barely fit with the ports.1008550191_9-5-20192-35-57PM.png.05b99f6054ea813947712072a2e028e4.png

Ok so if I go with a slot port I can do 13.5” x5.5” for a port area of 74.25 in^2 which is larger than the 56 in^2 I would get from two 6” round ports. Is this going to be enough?

my bad I screwed up my math some how when I first posted this.

ok it is too late I keeps screwing up my math. 🤪

Ok if I am correct, If I had a slot port that was 13.5"X5.5" it would need to be almost 39" long. Is this correct?

I sure hope not as that wouldn't work. A quick model shows there would be interference with the subs. Not to mention with that much port the box in now no where near the  size it would need to be. I have more port than box. what am I missing?

Here is what I would do with the space you have available:

image.png.c96198f9f30b0e858c40e4b743bf3929.png

Don't use a center port, use a single port along one side, they take up less internal volume.  Your actual tuning usually comes out a bit lower

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

13 minutes ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

Here is what I would do with the space you have available:

image.png.c96198f9f30b0e858c40e4b743bf3929.png

Don't use a center port, use a single port along one side, they take up less internal volume.  Your actual tuning usually comes out a bit lower

That is a big help thanks! I only have a few concerns though.

1. I can’t go wider than 32” if it is facing the front.

2. I am also not sure I can go deeper than 24”. I don’t know if larger than that will fit in the trunk opening.

how much will those effect the port info you game me? 

Only other one is I have a really small opening from the trunk of the car into the cabin. Something like 12”x8” I can measure later. Will this affect the design I should use? Thanks

So if I change to 32"x15"x24" and keep the port 13.5"x5.5"x36" I am showing that I only have 2.28 ft^3 total air space. From reading I thow I needed almost that much for each sub. I am sure I am missing something it has been a long time since I have done any box building. 

Archived