Second Skin Audio

American Bass XR 12-4 box design.

Scotnemily

I had an "oops" when building mine, too. When I did the math for the part of the vent that wraps around the back, I measured wrong by 3/4" (forgot to add the thickness of the wood) so the port was almost wider for half of it... but fortunately I caught it and it was an easy fix. It's definitely easy to make simple mistakes, especially if you're excited or in a hurry. It's looking good, man! Do you plan on carpeting it or just painting it? If you're carpeting it, you might want to add channels to stuff the carpet into for a clean look. 

Thanks M8. I think that might be what happened initially to me. I have full dimensional drawings made from my 3D model. This has been working very good until I had to deviate from the drawing. I think when I laid the front baffle up and marked it I didn’t add the thickness of the board. Then I trimmed about .25” off. This left me with the thickness of the wood minus the .25”. I think this is what happened. Either way I am back on track. Good news and bad news about working on it this weekend. The weather forecast was predicting rain both days so I was going to work on the box. Now no rain on Saturday. This is a good thing because I need to replace the center drag link, tie rods, and idler arm on my car. Then do an alignment. All which have a higher priority then building my box, though not as exciting. So a few hours doing that, then hopefully I can work on the box some. Might be Sunday though before I do much to it. I will take some more pictures and update as I get more done. I have a few pictures on my phone now but it is a pain to add them to my imgur account with my phone. I need to take some time to get on the laptop. 

Ok as promised here are a few more pictures. First is after I trimmed the bottom to match the front baffle at lunch time. Yes the corner isn’t square, and yes that is blue paint from my saw blade. Both happened trying to rip this 60” board on my table saw by myself with no out feed table or support for the side. The corner not being square cane from the board tipping when the cut was finished. I didn’t want to get my hand next to the blade so it didn’t catch it in time. The blue is from the same thing and not moving the board until I could turn off the saw. Anyway it is flush now...

spacer.png

next I am just test fitting the port brace and some of the internal bracing. The 2 larger boards still need to have a 11” diameter hole cut in them.

spacer.png

that’s all for tonight.

Quick update. Car is done front end is aligned. At baseball practice now. I hope to do some more to the box in a couple of hours. I’ll post pics as I progress.

Ok I made some progress. First a few pictures of the box screwed together.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

there was a problem. I cut the op a hair too small. I should have made it larger and trimmed it flush.

spacer.png

I was off by this much

spacer.png

nothing I can’t take care of with a little hand work.

spacer.png

here are a few pictures of some of the internal bracing being clamped into place.

spacer.png

spacer.png

That was all I had a chance to do today.

Final test fit went ok. I am confident enough that it will fit to go ahead and glue it up. The box won’t slide in as far as I want right now due to my signal processor being mounted in the way. I don’t want to take it down just to slid the box in. If for some reason when it is done if it doesn’t slide in, it will just be sticking further back in the trunk then I want by 8-12”. The box isn’t going to go in quite as far as I wanted anyway due to the angle of the back seat. I knew this going in to the build though and didn’t want the front to be at a matching angle.

On 9/27/2019 at 7:06 PM, Casparado said:

I had an "oops" when building mine, too. When I did the math for the part of the vent that wraps around the back, I measured wrong by 3/4" (forgot to add the thickness of the wood) so the port was almost wider for half of it... but fortunately I caught it and it was an easy fix. It's definitely easy to make simple mistakes, especially if you're excited or in a hurry. It's looking good, man! Do you plan on carpeting it or just painting it? If you're carpeting it, you might want to add channels to stuff the carpet into for a clean look. 

I am probably either going to paint it or use the Bed liner coating. I was thinking about making it super glossy black, but more than I want to do. I want the box to look nice, but if it is only used in the trunk of my car, I am going to put a false wall behind it anyway so you won’t even see the box. I will probably fill in any holes from screws or other imperfections, then sand it smooth. I will probably put a rounded edge on all of the outer corners.

I rough cut the first part of the ports after work tonight. Wow those elbows are huge. It almost caused a problem with the fitment of the ports. Lucky they just fit. Any larger and I would have to start grinding some off the outside to make them fit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

that’s all for tonight.

Here is a little more port fitment. I still have to trim some. front will need to be trimmed flush once I get the final depth established. spacer.png

I need to trim off about 2.5 inches from each side. still. I made them longer so I could get them right how I wanted them after test fitment. Also due to the size of the elbows they are back further than I had originally planned. This means I had to make the 2nd part of the port tube shorter than I was originally planning on. 

spacer.png

One thing to note in the above picture the collar on the elbow is sticking up about 1/16th inch higher than the board. I am going to have to flatten that a little bit. No biggy...

spacer.png

Ports cut flush with front baffle. Front baffle glued to sides and bottom. That's all I had time for on my lunch break.

Archived