Second Skin Audio

American Bass XR 12-4 box design.

Scotnemily

Hi, I recently picked up 2 American Bass XR 12-4 subs. The dual 4 ohm version. I also purchased one of the Deaf Bounce AAK 2000.1 amps. Subs are rated 1200 RMS. Amp should put that out to each at 1ohm. I am trying to come up with a box design. I currently have a ported box with 2 cubic feet per sub. American Bass says this sub should have 2-2.3 per sub. I called AB and talked to Bob. He said my box would be fine. It seems small to me though. And reading online I hear this sub likes a bigger box then what is called out. Is the current box big enough, or should I be looking for one 0.5-1.0 cubic ft per sub bigger? Would adding polyfill be enough to with out going with a larger box? This is going in the trunk of a 2001 740il BMW. It only has the ski pass though into the cabin. I was considering going with a 4th order bandpass box, as I feel my trunk is currently acting like one. It tends to be peaky. Any help with a box size or design for these speakers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your current box may be fine,  it depends on if it has an appropriate amount of port area for the power you will be running though.  

If you went to a larger ported box you would get more output around tuning, but only around tuning.  This can result in peaky output which may or may not be what you want.  

Adding polyfil to a ported box does NOT work like adding polyfil to a sealed box.  If you stuff a ported box with polyfil all it will do is reduce your output.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Awesome thanks for the help. I asked Bob if I should add the polyfill to the ported box and he said something along the lines of sure if you want. I got the impression he was just kind of blowing me off. I have only used polyfill in the past for sealed enclosures. What you say make since and is probably why I didn’t do it before. 

For reference this is the box I was going to put them in.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N8BRTH5/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_iPiCDbRGRJCYF

it is a prefab, I could build one, but don’t have a lot of time.

9 hours ago, Scotnemily said:

Awesome thanks for the help. I asked Bob if I should add the polyfill to the ported box and he said something along the lines of sure if you want. I got the impression he was just kind of blowing me off. I have only used polyfill in the past for sealed enclosures. What you say make since and is probably why I didn’t do it before. 

For reference this is the box I was going to put them in.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N8BRTH5/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_iPiCDbRGRJCYF

it is a prefab, I could build one, but don’t have a lot of time.

That box has about 30 sq in of port area, which would be fine up to about 500 watts.  You are going to be running a LOT more power than that so you will need significantly more port area.   I think you will be very disappointed with the performance of that prefab.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Thanks I was afraid of that. That is why I was asking. I really had my doubts if this box would work. I am trying to come up with something using Bass box. I  wanted to use 6" round ports but I get a length of 33.5" if I use 2 of them. I can use two 4" ports, but I was afraid that would not be big enough. I can go around 34" wide for the box about 15" tall, and up to 24" deep any larger I would really have to measure carefully to make sure it would go in the trunk opening. 24" might be pushing it. Any help figuring out what Cubic ft box and port size to use would be greatly appreciated. I will model it up and make the plans, but I could use a little help with the specs to use. thanks!

Right now I have this simple box laid out. it is 34" wide by 15" tall by about 22" deep. it is using two 4" round ports about 13.5" long.

I also contacted the guys at AK Audio. they had a pretty cool American Bass box. It is close to what I need, and not a bad price. I could build one for less if I had the time, but I honestly don't have a lot of time.  right now I am open to either buying one from someone, or building one.

here is the link to the video for that box.

My Bad. The picture of the box I attached had 2 10" subs in it not 12's I thought it looked funny. I started with a different one I did for 2 10" soundqubed subs. I forgot to make the speakers larger when I changed the look of them. this one is closer.

Archived