Second Skin Audio

American Bass XR 12-4 box design.

Scotnemily

One more thing. I know some people say stay away from the birch at places like Lowes and home Depot. What should I be looking for in the plywood grade. Chances are I will need to get it from Lowes or Menards. If it is definitely advised against then I will probably have to use MDF. 

Thanks again.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Scotnemily said:

One more thing. I know some people say stay away from the birch at places like Lowes and home Depot. What should I be looking for in the plywood grade. Chances are I will need to get it from Lowes or Menards. If it is definitely advised against then I will probably have to use MDF. 

Thanks again.

Just be careful. Baltic Birch is different from regular Birch, and has different grading standards and sizes. 

Baltic birch is graded B/BB at the highest,to BB/CP (includes patches) and C/C at the lowest. Standard Birch is graded A/B down to C/D. Baltic also tends to come in 5 foot increments as opposed to standard Birch that's in our usual 4x8 sheets. (grades are for front/back faces)

The Baltic stuff tends to be nicer, with no holes in the core, marine grade glue between the veneers, etc... however there's nothing wrong with good A/B grade standard Birch. I can not get the Baltic stuff locally unfortunately (and I live in a mill town). meh. 

Ok thanks. I will probably post a link to what is available for me before I purchase it. I don’t want to buy it and then get it cut, or cut it up just to find out I screwed up with the material I purchased. I am thinking regular birch and oak plywood is what is available to me.

I'm looking at making a box for a single American Bass XR 12, looking at giving it about 1500rms and wanting to tune low 28hz for most output down low and relatively flat response. How big should I go, consensus seems to be about 2.5cft max? Lower 2-2.25cft? Also based on all this would 40 square inches of port area be sufficient?

Based off what I have been reading, not my own knowledge on this speaker, 2.5cft will work better for the lows then the 2-2.25cft. As far as port area I would also think that the 40 Sqr in would be enough as I will be using about twice that for 2 of the subs and was told it would be good. Again, I am new to this particular sub, and have been out of the car audio build world for about 20 years. Hopefully one of the big dogs will chime in and confirm this for you.

I've got wood! :) Local place had some Baltic Birch. I got 1 and 1/2 sheets of 60"x60" for about $70. not too bad. I am going to start marking it up of the next couple of lunch breaks, and I might take a vacation day friday and start cutting and building the box. More pics to come as I make progress.1036678799_IMG_3868(1).jpg.3b640e313775c6431ccdd2e3167e8b31.jpg1549897980_IMG_3869(1).jpg.d3542e5cafbbb9563687151b4b3a3e9c.jpg

I started marking the first piece up last night. I realized this is going to take a while longer then I was first thinking. I also realized there were a few things I was going to need to purchase. I could probably get buy without buying any of them, but they would make my life a lot easier. for example, I have a 12" incra precision T rule, but the 18" would make the marking so much faster. it is $48 though. I really need a new router bit, not expensive $20 or so, but it starts adding up. I reached a total just shy of the price I was quoted for having this cut with a CNC. I was starting to get excited about doing the cuts myself, but now if I am almost the same price and can save a lot of time I might pay for the CNC. Of course I can lower my cost if I don't buy all of the things I came up with. I can get by with my Incra stuff now, but who wants to work harder and get by when there is a toy for that :)

Not much to share. I am waiting to get a firm quote on CNC. in the meantime I thought I would mark up the boards a little more. I have the outline of the front panel with the ports, and the vertical centerline for the subs. Thanks to My helper Max! He is always willing to lend a paw.IMG_3877.jpg.910910a8304a3ec387742421b5f811e6.jpg

Archived