Second Skin Audio

American Bass XR 12-4 box design.

Scotnemily

Got some 1/0 gauge cable in today from GP Audio. I needed to put some heavier cable in for the bigger amp. My 400rms was fine on the 4 gauge. This amp is gonna draw more power. Got to build one of these up for each of my batteries.

FB16EDC9-D6E9-4C3E-9036-807E23905BE7.jpeg

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got my first firm quote for cnc. $225.00 really more than I wanted to pay. I am waiting for two other quotes still. The place the ball parked it at $100-$150 said they should have a quote Monday.

They dropped the price to $205 if I don’t have them do the sheet that only has 3 rectangles on it. That would be easier to cut with my saw. I was hoping to be $150 or under though.

Not much going on yet. Here is the current dual battery set up. I need to clean up my bracket, and I will route the wire a little better. Just wanted to start running that new 1/0 wire. The small 4ga red wire is going to a fuse and then to my 400rms amp. I will take it out when I get the new amp in. I am also eyeing one of the northstar batteries at GPaudio. I will wait and see what my voltage does when I hook up the new amp.

EE07B685-6E66-4094-BC0A-E4CC103E192A.jpeg

Got some speaker wire in the mail today. Also got one of those nice SMD round speaker terminals in. I was wanting green and black speaker wire but I couldn’t find any that wasn’t cca wire. So I went with this twisted wire. It looks pretty good. Just wish I could find some nice green and black stuff.

26021F35-F278-4402-A447-8E52FD5BFBA0.thumb.jpeg.8f8ec26c039aae5d55f61ef38358c322.jpeg

Has anyone used this wire before? 

https://droppinhzcaraudio.com/sky-high-car-audio-8-gauge-ofc-speaker-wire/

I don’t know if I will but it or not. I was thinking about adding a acrylic window that not the sub box. I doubt I will do that now, and I don’t even plan on the speaker wire being visible. I just wanted it to look nice and be color matched to what I am doing. 🤪

Ok cool thanks. I went ahead and ordered some of that green and black sky high wire. The KnuKonceptz stuff looks cool. I am am not sure it is actual 10ga wire though. it looks smaller more like 14ga then 10ga. it might just be the overall size of the clear making the copper look smaller. it is larger than my 1/0ga wire. I think it would look really nice in an enclosure with a window. It looks bigger than it is. I'll take some more pictures of it and post them.

Ok I guess it does look a little more like 10ga when I looked at it again. here is a couple of pix next to my 1/0ga wire. Please excuse my giant gorilla hands...

IMG_3906.jpg.bbcecf959cf3dd689fb3af2a7bef1f5a.jpg

IMG_3907.jpg.67339f2fec59127827982bf2d28a00c8.jpg

Ok I got A firm quote back from another place. $150 for everything. Only issue I really have with it is they are currently busy and can't get it back to me any sooner than 4 weeks.

I just finished building my box. Only used a skill saw and it took about 2 hours to cut the pieces and another 6 to 8 to assemble them and install. Everything fit great (but I did have to shave one panel down 1/32”... otherwise no issues) and if you have a large enough table saw, that would make it even easier yet. Plus you get the satisfaction of saying you designed and built it fully yourself. Two friends came over to check it out yesterday and they were blown away! So ya... I wouldn’t pay a shop to cut the panels unless you’re all thumbs with a saw 

E9F348D3-D65D-4478-9680-5A34F71A1017.jpeg

C64ACF14-C19C-41E7-BADD-449C8A9688D2.jpeg

Archived