Second Skin Audio

American Bass XR 12-4 box design.

Scotnemily

I didn't have time to work on it over the weekend. I did open up the holes today on my lunch break. They needed about 1/8th inch more. Subs fit nicely now. I did hit another snag. I test fitted one of the front baffles in the trunk. It is going to be a super tight squeeze. I think it might fit, but it is getting caught on the foam lining in the trunk. I think I am going to make the box a little narrower. If I just take off 1/2 inch it will fit a lot easier. Only 4 boards will have to be trimmed. 1/2 inch off from 2 of them, and 1/4 inch of each side of 2 of them. I would hate to get this glued up and ready to install just to find out it was 1/4-1/2 inch too wide. Plus with the weight of the subs and box, I don't want to have to fight it to get it to slide in.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got the 36" boards cut down to 35.5". I think I can leave the 33" parts at 33". I will check that later. No other updates for now.

Started glue some parts together at lunch. I plan on getting a lot of it assembled this weekend, but I have to start some time. These parts will make it go faster later. Here is the bottom of the box with a temp board in front for a spacer, and the smaller 1.25" board glued to it. this will provide the raised section to clear that lip in my trunk.

K1iPzZW.jpg

Here is one of the main side parts. It gets the slightly larger 1.5"  board glued to it.

Oh6yzW9.jpg

Sorry it is going slow. only managing to work on it about 30 mins each time. the longest I have gotten to do anything to it was about 3 hours last friday. I hope to fix that over the weekend. I might not get it all completely assembled, but I should make some good progress.

Just got back home from work. I decided to do a little more glueing. here is a picture of one of the glue lines.

spacer.png

here are the parts I glued together earlier. Glued and clamped.

spacer.png

I added some screws to help hold it together.

spacer.png

that’s all for tonight.

Where to start.... I test fitted the parts of the box i had glued together. 

That 33" didn't fit. 

ozIyPK5.jpg

15oIbgP.jpg

height to clear the lip was good.

2xSUh7q.jpg

So I took .25" off that 33 inches. Now it fits.

zWRVXHE.jpg

Now this is where the trouble begins... I got in too big of a hurry since I wa doing this on my lunch break. I wanted to go ahead and cut all of the parts that were going to need to be trimmed. I grabbed the top which was 35.5" and had nothing to do with the 33" that I was working with. Off came .25" Then I realized what I had just done. Well now I have to trim .125" off from each side of 3 other parts to fix that mistake. Then I used my crosscut sled ( I  previously used my jigsaw) to trim the notch I needed out of the 2 front baffles and the back of the box. This let me get it nice and square and I used a stop so all of the parts are exactly the same on both sides. (no pictures sorry) This took me about 1 hour to set up and cut. then I had to put everything back in the garage and get back to work. ended up being almost a 2 hour lunch break instead of the hour break. Good thing I get to work 30 mins early every day just in case something comes up. 

It actually isn’t quite as close as the picture makes it look. It wasn’t all the way against the other side. That being said. I really screwed my self today. I never should have rushed. Every step before today I took time to measure draw out and verify before cutting. Today I rushed. I have another issue. I will post some pictures or details when I get off work tonight. 

Ok so not sure when I did this or exactly what I did. Here are some pictures.

so if I slide the front baffle either to the right or left it comes out pretty square.

spacer.png

But the other side is off.

spacer.png

basically the back and baffle is 32.3125 at the narrow part. The bottom of the box is 32.75 wide. This would be pretty simple to just trim some off the bottom if it wasn’t already glued up. I will still trim it off the bottom and then have to cut a new narrow strip and glue it back on. It is just a set back in time. And I shouldn’t have even made this simple mistake. Just got in a hurry. There are so many checks I could have don’t before glueing that would have shown this problem.

now the other one (I’ll add a picture later) 2 of the braces inside I had to cut a notch out of. I cut it the wrong way. It needed to be say 1.5” tall and 1.25” wide. I did it the other way. The notch fits good, but the brace is to short to reach the top of the box. This happened because I didn’t check my drawing to see what way the board should be setting before cutting it. Luckily it is just a brace and I can correct the cut pretty easily. Again it just shouldn’t have happened if I was not in a hurry.

here is one more pic of the box as it is starting to fit together.

if it wasn’t for the mistakes it would be coming together nicely.

spacer.png

Ok before work this morning, I applied some heat to the glue joint and some pressure to try to break it apart. No such luck. the wood broke before the gule, which is what I was expecting. Luckily the part that broke is also the part that is getting cut off, so I wasn't worried about it breaking. I took another 15 mins to make sure the other board that I am keeping was back to the height it needed to be and square again. It had a little glue and some of the wood from the other part stuck on it. My Square says it is good, and setting it on a flat surface shows no light between the 2 parts. Now I will set me table saw to match the width of the other boards and run that base back down it. after that it should be good. I'll try to take some more pictures and post later after my lunch break.

I think I correct all of my mistakes I made yesterday. I now have the front baffle and the bottom flush. I also fixed the internal braces. Next time I work on it, I am going to clamp it up and put a few brads, or maybe screws, in it to hold it together. Then I am going to make sure everything lines up as it should. If it does, then it is going into the car for a final fit check before it gets glues again. :) Not going to go through this again.

Archived