Second Skin Audio

American Bass XR 12-4 box design.

Scotnemily

I worked on it a little more tonight after work. Sorry about the angle, it distorted the image and makes it not look square.

6XdPGNk.jpg

nothing exciting just getting the braces glued in place. The center one sticking up is just to add pressure. It fits tight.

4tPFH6x.jpg

I added another extra panel in the center behind the front baffle to help strengthen it where the ports are. It was an extra piece cut so I thought I might as well through it in and glue it up. I also have to get some shorter screws and put in. But theses will hold it for now.

7NIQtE1.jpg

I have to cut some new boards here I just stuck them in for test fit and to add support for the other braces while the glue dries. There is no reason to have those 2 small boards when one will work better. Originally it was to space the port brace off the back of the box. Due to the size of the elbows the port brace has to fit right against the back of the box.

Also no pic, but I cut and mounted a SMD speaker terminal in the back of the box. That’s all for tonight. 

Here is a pic of that terminal. I still have to put the rest of the screws in it. Mine are too long so I ordered some on Amazon. I can get them quicker in the mail then taking time to go to the store and get them.

rYaIW0r.jpg

So I was going to use some threaded inserts to mount the subs. I got already to Mark the hole locations and then drill them. That’s when I found out there is no way I can use the mounting method I was planning on. 

spacer.png

it is hard to see in the picture but the screw heads are way to large to fit into the black rubber speaker ring. I guess I will just use wood screws...

At least I got the bottom port glued in place.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I still have a little more gluing on the tube, but it is getting there.

thats all for tonight.

I got both ports glued in now. They are flush and smooth on the front. I have double checked the 2nd front baffle for the hole locations and marked them. I will cut them tomorrow. Then glue that on. After that, it will be time to add putty as needed round the edges with my router and sand then prep for the finish. I won’t paint it this weekend for sure. I will probably take my time sanding it multiple times. 

On 10/3/2019 at 9:53 PM, Scotnemily said:

So I was going to use some threaded inserts to mount the subs. I got already to Mark the hole locations and then drill them. That’s when I found out there is no way I can use the mounting method I was planning on. 

spacer.png

it is hard to see in the picture but the screw heads are way to large to fit into the black rubber speaker ring. I guess I will just use wood screws...

At least I got the bottom port glued in place.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I still have a little more gluing on the tube, but it is getting there.

thats all for tonight.

All that fancy hardware mounting the subs always sounds good, and in a perfect world will be according to plan. I like plans... but sometimes good enough is good enough in my exp. 2 XR 12's ought not tax those drywall screws too much. I'm using 1.25" coarse drywall on my setup currently. In a single ply Mdf enclosure I managed this so far with more changes coming...

2NhpXoi.jpg

50 lb single 18 clamping 3000+ so unless you're clamping mad power imo you'll be allright.

Wow... all that bracing you've put in there... just wow

Thanks M8! What 18” are you running? I know the subs will be fine. I don’t really plan on taking them in and out much. Too much bracing, not enough? I doubt these will need all of it but, overkill is underrated if you ask me. I am also eyeing some Deaf Bonce subs. I want to hear these XR’s though first.

43 minutes ago, Scotnemily said:

Too much bracing, not enough? 

What 18” are you running?

It sure looks solid to me man, I only brace where I feel it's needed but mo solid is mo better... flex can affect output. I really don't think you'll have too much flex now, I was just commenting with a smile at all that bracing... wow... 😎

I'm rockin' a FI-Bl atm... tryin' for a daily /w/ #'s currently... this new sub is just sitting here just mocking me...

7vuWT0X.jpg?1

I might lose db's with that ^^^^ being tuned lower and all but it should handle the power a LOT better.

Your enclosure is comin' along nicely... keep it up.

Thx. I do have a problem. Right now I am upset. Some how the router jig moved while I was cutting my ports in my front baffle.

izOdmjF.jpg

the tip one is fine. The bottom one got elongated. Not a lot I can do about it now. Except buy another board and recut. I may try to cut something and glue it. Not sure now.

The speaker hole came out just the right size.

eHEElLB.jpg

I have never got to hear those FI subs, they were in my consideration when I was looking for subs. I might have ended up with some FI subs if I wouldn’t have gotten such a good deal with the XR’s 

Archived