Second Skin Audio

American Bass XR 12-4 box design.

Scotnemily

Man I had the same problem with my sub and 1/4-20 machine screws. It's annoying as shit that the mounting holes aren't large enough to accommodate them. For the meantime I have it mounted with normal T25 stainless wood screws. I'm really glad I didn't install the threaded inserts before testing them! Anyway the only way I see to get around it is to either buy smaller machine screws and threaded inserts or to bore out the screw holes on the subwoofer flange. .... I'm actually leaning to the latter so I can have decent thread size holding them in place, but I haven't done the deed yet. I'm going to make the decision once I finally get around to wrapping the box and beautifying the amp rack.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did consider doing both of those too. On my speakers the holes in the metal are large enough to pass my 10-24 screws through. The rubber isn’t. While the shaft of the screw will squeeze through it the head is way to large. I think it is even to small for a #6 pan head. I don’t think I could make the holes in the rubber larger and make it look good. And while even #4 screws should hold the sub at this point I doubt I will bother. I will either use some wood screws, or some black dry wall screws.

Ok I decided to try something.

i cut down a scrap piece of wood and tapered the back edge. I put wood glue on it, set it on a concrete pad. Then I placed another scrap piece of wood on top and beat it with a 4lb hammer. The result is a plug that fits super tight.

oTVDmBl.jpg

it is flush with the surface. It has a small gap. I am pretty sure that will disappear when I cut out the new hole and use my round over bit. Any imperfections will be smoothed and sanded with wood filler.

And here it is with the new hole cut out.

uvFpRV4.jpg

it should look good once I round the edge and sand it.

Ok I made some more progress. I glued the 2nd front baffle to the first one. I put a good coating of wood glue all over one of the baffles. Around the ports to seal I used Gorilla glues version of liquid nails. I put a real thick layer on so it would squeeze into the port and fill in any gaps that may be there. I wanted it air tight. A lot squeezed out so there was come cleanup needed. 

tonUvbV.jpg

Then I clamped it tight.

KG0W9rl.jpg

And just to help make sure it was fastened, I added a few 1.25" screws on the back. I didn't want them coming out of the front. My material had a thickness of .7135" so these worked good.

x5vnWxq.jpg

Good thing not many screws were needed like this as I didn't have much room to put them in there.

f2T3vZO.jpg

My next step is to re clean out any dust or junk that might be in the box. then I will go along all of the seams with something to seal it off and make sure there is no way any air can leak out. then I need to clean the inside of the ports so they can be painted black. I will also need to touch up the liquid nail around it to make sure it looks nice and smooth.

That's all for now.

Quick update. I vacuumed out the box then blew any remaining dust out. I started sealing the seams, then found out I couldn't fit my gun inside. I put on a rubber glove and had to put the caulking on my finger, then spread it out. as a result it looks really bad. First I was taking time and trying to make it look pretty, then I said screw it I want it to seal good and this is taking way too long. I just spread it nice and thick. No pics of the ugly caulking :) I also Couldn't fully do the rear panel. the bottom port is in the way. no way to get anything back there. I should have sealed that first. oh well. it is glued good

Ok I can’t decide on a small 45 degree chamfer or a small 1/8th round over around the subwoofer. I am going to use round edges elsewhere on the box, but I kind of think a chamfer might look nice here. 
MrhkoqV.jpg

bx5r3Xn.jpg

thoughts?

Thanks. I plan on coating it with paint or paint like substance. I am way too out of practice to try to wrap it with anything. I already know I would spend more money buying stuff and redoing it 20 times then it would have cost to pay someone else to have made the box. I know my limitations. It has been 20 years since I wrapped a box. :)

I might just round it and be done. I think I would like the chamfer, but it would still leave and edge, two actually. Not sure how it will look.

Archived