Second Skin Audio

American Bass XR 12-4 box design.

Scotnemily

Hey I'm looking at getting a pair of these for Christmas and I'm working on designing a box now but cant get the one source of parameters i've found to work. Could you post a screenshot of the XR parameters please? it would help a ton!

Your box is insane though, so much detail on all that bracing. I'm likely going to have to go slot port or just make my box as deep as possible and lose my entire trunk to accommodate those 6" ports.

1996 Accord <50k Miles
150amp high output alternator + Big 4
Optima Yellow Top
Hifonics BRX2416.1D - Hifonics BXX800.4
2 1 Diamond Audio D312D2 400w in a dual 12 sealed box.

Hey, sorry I just came back to update this and saw your question. I will try to post a screen shot later tonight or Tomorrow. I have to find it.

i just put these in the car today. I only have them on 200 rms each since I am still waiting to get my amp in the mail. Even in 200 each they sound amazing! I am extremely happy with them so far. Only thing is I wish the box was about 1/4 inch shorter. It won’t quite slide under my a606 amp. I am going to have to relocate the amp. It would probably squeeze in there but I don’t want to scuff the paint on the amp. I’ll try to take a picture tomorrow. It still fits in the trunk like this, just not as far forward as I want.

Here you go. This is what I got from American bass. I will also post a picture tomorrow of the spec sheet that came with the subs.

ZJSd3i0.jpg

you have probably seen this, but just in case it will help. It is the pdf for the manual that comes with the speakers.

Pdf of specs

and if you can’t view the pdf, here is a screenshot of it.

WBCtob3.png

• 5 weeks later...

Quick update. I had to swap out my batteries. I ended up with a northstar G31 and a northstar sms-agm80. I was able to add the new amp. Only have it on a 2 ohm load currently. Amp is rated at about 1400 rms at 2 ohms. So 700 rms to each. According to the amp dynos I have seen it does well over rated power. Over all it sounds good. I will be honest though. There wasn’t much difference in volume going from 400 rms to 1400 rms. There is a good chance the other amp is under rated and could have been throwing out 600 rms or more. Either way I would have expected more volume increase. I can tell a difference in volume at say 20-35 hz. Only other thing I could do is drop to .5 ohms. the amp manufacturer says it will run .5 ohm all day and put out over 4000 rms. Only problems are, not sure if my electrical could take that right now, and pretty sure the subs can’t take 2000 rms each, unless they are way under rated.

8 hours ago, Scotnemily said:

Quick update. I had to swap out my batteries. I ended up with a northstar G31 and a northstar sms-agm80. I was able to add the new amp. Only have it on a 2 ohm load currently. Amp is rated at about 1400 rms at 2 ohms. So 700 rms to each. According to the amp dynos I have seen it does well over rated power. Over all it sounds good. I will be honest though. There wasn’t much difference in volume going from 400 rms to 1400 rms. There is a good chance the other amp is under rated and could have been throwing out 600 rms or more. Either way I would have expected more volume increase. I can tell a difference in volume at say 20-35 hz. Only other thing I could do is drop to .5 ohms. the amp manufacturer says it will run .5 ohm all day and put out over 4000 rms. Only problems are, not sure if my electrical could take that right now, and pretty sure the subs can’t take 2000 rms each, unless they are way under rated.

Subs are definitely underated, my xfl was rated at 1k, fed it 2k daily for a long time and sold it, it's still on 2k over a year later. The xr is the next up in the sub line so I wouldn't stress it taking the extra power if it's clean, undistorted power

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

Good to know thanks! Definitely got clean power going to it. Keep the gains set so there is no clipping. After I break them in some I might switch them over to .5 ohms see what the voltage does. See if the subs like it. I really wish now I would have put extra terminals on the back of the box so I could change ohm loads without removing the subs and the box from the car!

17 minutes ago, Scotnemily said:

Good to know thanks! Definitely got clean power going to it. Keep the gains set so there is no clipping. After I break them in some I might switch them over to .5 ohms see what the voltage does. See if the subs like it. I really wish now I would have put extra terminals on the back of the box so I could change ohm loads without removing the subs and the box from the car!

Yeah definitely would have made it easier , I'm lazy, usually leave a few feet of wire out of box so i can rewire at amp easily lol

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

• 2 months later...
On 9/6/2019 at 7:34 AM, Triticum Agricolam said:

Here is what I would do with the space you have available:

image.png.c96198f9f30b0e858c40e4b743bf3929.png

Don't use a center port, use a single port along one side, they take up less internal volume.  Your actual tuning usually comes out a bit lower

heya! I see you live in eastern wa. I live in leavenworth. I am trying to figure out how to build a 4th order for my classic orion 2ntense dvc 12's. I am having a hard time with getting a box design. Is there any way I could have you walk me through designing one or give me some advice? What program is that there? If you could possibly help me I would be very grateful and would gladly do a build log or something. 

thanks 

Archived