Second Skin Audio

Do subs get louder after break in?

Blizzyjr

I just got a sundown x-15 and it isn't nearly as loud as I anticipated. I have the big 3 done and a proper xs battery running just over 2000 rms @ 1 ohm the box is built to sundowns specs and tuned to 32, will the volume increase once the sub starts to loosen up? Also is it fine to play 20-25 hz on a brand new sub?

Do not play below tuning or you risk damaging your subwoofer, but its your choice.

Not as loud as you expect?  It could be 1000 things but Id start with making sure the amplifier is tuned properly, maybe the crossovers not on point or your phase switch is flipped the wrong way.  

Since it could be 1000 things, pictures of your setup from battery, fuse, amps, everything and maybe one of us can spot something thats off.

On 9/7/2019 at 7:36 PM, Blizzyjr said:

Here's the amp tuning on an ampere 2000.1

Using an oscilloscope its right below clipping

All wiring is solid, box is 36 x 22 x 14 including port and port is slotted 4" wide 12" height

amp.jpg

I could be wrong but....

the LPF is not at 80hz

i have found that my sa-12's have never seen above 60hz in any build until the one i have now.  they never played above 60hz well. but in the new box the more i play above 60hz the better they sound in that range. keep in mind i have 100's of hours of play time on them already so break in is an afterthought. 

i have beat the living shit out of them from 20-50hz, clipped and overpowered. now im throwing even more power at them and probably clipping just as much. 

that being said, i have no idea what i am doing but i think a ton of power and moderate clipping will give you a lot of fun till either a coil melts or soft parts rip. 

On 9/8/2019 at 10:36 AM, Blizzyjr said:

Here's the amp tuning on an ampere 2000.1

Using an oscilloscope its right below clipping

All wiring is solid, box is 36 x 22 x 14 including port and port is slotted 4" wide 12" height

amp.jpg

Make sure the remote bass remote is up, turn LPF higher and subsonic lower to test it's not cutting the frequencies out somewhere in the middle, I've also made the mistake of setting my gains with my subsonic filer and LPF on (and HU settings not flat) which messes with the DMM readings ....though it sounds like you have covered all these things....amp issue? Though I imagine if it's putting out the right voltage it should be ok....

On break-in, I noticed my sub seemed to hit a bit lower after a few weeks of usage, but as mentioned not a night and day difference.

Archived