Sonic Electronix

Wanted to say hi tell my story and get some input on my upcoming setup

2 minutes ago, Mike4068 said:

You are only going to see that 5v at max volume. You can do what you want, I was just letting you know what I would do and what most other people would do too. 

So I think I get what you are saying and its what I want to do. Set the highs so they play undistorted at maximum receiver volume. Would I just turn down the gain for them individually to do so?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Gunnem said:

Your amplifier should be tuned according to the headunits preout.  turning the gain down on the amp is like using it as a volume knob.  use your subwoofer level on your headunit for a cleaner sound or less volume. 

I missed the main question and what u drive your budget all that but in your topic it says input for upcoming setup...... 

the answer is four 15s walled.  that is always the answer and goal.

Not really a main question just bouncing around ideas and trying to learn the best way of doing things. Years ago there wasnt really a best way you just did everything to ear. Old headunits were much simpler I am coming from the Alpine CDA-9887 which im very familiar with to this kenwood touch screen thing. For sub level is has -50 to +10 and shit like that is just making things confusing for me. Ya a wall would be sweet lol

7 minutes ago, Gunnem said:

Your amplifier should be tuned according to the headunits preout.  turning the gain down on the amp is like using it as a volume knob.  use your subwoofer level on your headunit for a cleaner sound or less volume. 

I missed the main question and what u drive your budget all that but in your topic it says input for upcoming setup...... 

the answer is four 15s walled.  that is always the answer and goal.

But ya I want to take advantage of the 5v pre outs to reduce the "noise" and have a cleaner signal im just not positive how to do it exactly and I think Mike though I was disagreeing with him I know we want to get that max pre out power. To do this I would simply turn the gain down for the highs until they play undistorted at maximum volume, right?

I'm one of those guys who HATES screaming loud highs. So im nervous that to get to my max volume I might have to turn the gain all the way down on the highs. How then would I get maximum bass with quieter highs? Id rather just be able to clearly hear the song, whilst having maximum bass going. To solve this Id pretty much have to turn the gain up at that point on the amp so maximum bass comes at like 25 we'll say instead of 35 on the HU volume, is that correct ?

EDIT: But then we arent getting the maximum 5v pre out. So I do not understand

2 minutes ago, Mike4068 said:

Set your sub gain like I said and when you set the gain for your mids and highs adjust the overlap until you get what you want. 

Yep thats what im saying I want to do. My unit gos to -9 on "gain" or "level" for each speaker I'm just drinkin and not thinkin, clearly I will be able to get good sound at max volume long before -9... I was just worried It would still be too loud (the highs). Remember I have not listened to LOUD bass for years. I forget how much it cuts out the highs lol. I've only ever listened to this head unit with no bass, and its screaming loud not on max volume haha. But because of no subs ive had no reason to do anything except turn the volume down. I will figure it out.

6 minutes ago, Gunnem said:

I hate screaming doors too, I just turn the speaker levels down in my headunit on front right/left, back right/left.  I have pioneer double din AVH-something.

Ya I just have to get in there and play around. Like I said above^ 20 on the volume knob may annoy me without bass but with the stereo it may not even be audible, I will figure it out no doubt.

Well got it all set up and tuned to ear. Sounds good pretty loud. Definitely not fine tuned but tuned so I can't hear any distortion myself. My max volume on HU gos to 35 it doesnt sound clean at 35 even when I turn the gain down a bit so I have it set up for max volume to be 32 which to ear sounds very good distortion free. Subs at +10 bass boost is off on hu and amp fully. EQ set to flat. No enhancements on. my amp gos 9v to 0.2v on the gain I have it pretty close to 4v and it sounds nice. Pushing them a bit over rms power but its clean sounding so ill just take it easy. Crossovers for the doors sound good at 120hz and I have the level on them at -3 which they don't distort at when max volume. Played with the lpf on the hu stuck with 70 sounded cleaner than 80 i guess. Question when using the HU LPF what should I do with the amp LPF should i turn it up or try to match it? Also im using a cheap RCA cable it was all I had its a bullz audio brand twisted braided rca. It seems to be fine I hear no noise or humming from the subwoofers at all but I'm looking to buy a knukonceptz krystal rca anyway. At 0 volume on the headunit I can very faintly hear the subs playing to the beat of the song lol... RCA? Something else? And I mean very faintly... Thanks guys. Any other input appreciated as well

Most of the kenwoods I have tested were clean right up to 32 or 33 with eq flat, any kind of bass boost or loud feature turned off, and usually the sub level a few clicks shy of max.  With the sub level maxed out, I usually got distortion under 30 on the 40hz tone, so I would back that off to match the level on the fronts and then just make a mental note of how far I could go with the sub. 

Archived