Second Skin Audio

High spl numbers

Brick20

I want to hit the highest spl numbers possible.

I have a 1991 chevy Silverado ext. Cab.

I have 2 skar audio evl 12's d4 and the rp2000.1 amp. I'm looking to build an spl box for them to fit my truck, but I have limited space as the max space available is 35w 21h 21d. 

Can someone help with box size , and how much port area and what tuning I would need.

Thanks 

A GMT400 truck is not the best with strong SPL numbers without going more "balls to the Wall" so to speak than what equipment you're working with now ... Just Saying

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Just doing a quick calculation in Torres that gives you about 5.5 cubes net @ 32hz using those 2 12's and a 19.5x4.25x30 L shaped port.  Its actually a bit oversized for what those subs call for and not enough room to bump up to the 15's either.   So you can either make the box a tad smaller (which Im sure you wouldnt mind) or find room to go bigger and run 2 EVL15's instead.

But if you stick with the 2 12's, 35w x 21h x 19d, port 19.5h x 4.25w x 40l will put you at 4.25 net after displacement with tuning at 32.5hz and port area of 82.88sqin.

You are a tad under max power using that amp on the 2 of them at 1 ohm, but it should still sound good and loud in the right box. 

Just to put a picture to what Im saying:spacer.png

If you were going for a purely SPL based setup you would use the pair of lines shifted right, you can see the output is MUCH higher but you lose a ton of output below 40hz.  So while it will score high, its really not going to sound great for music in your car everyday.

edit: the pair of lines to the left are going by recommended specs for that particular sub.  It will have a much broader output range, again, for a daily use this would be the preferred setup to use

You’re not going to get really impressive numbers out of this truck unless you wall it or make a blow through out of it ... 

It’s possible if you compete for outlaw SPL ... but not with the equipment you have available. again, just Saying 

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived