Second Skin Audio

Need a box design for 2 12” Sundown U

Trevlf

I currently have a box that is too large. It’s 4.16^3ft with 2 6” aeroports. I’ve been told for SPL I need a box sized around 2.7^3ft total with a single 6” port. 

The box will be going in a 2009 Honda Civic Si. I’m trying to find somebody that knows how to get loud in trunks. Everything is already sound deadened, I have 3 batteries, 240 amp alternator , and a crescendo encore 4.5K. Currently clamping right around 4000. I want to stay in trunk 2, just need to work on my box. The current setup is subs up side fire to driver side. Thinking maybe subs forward side fire or subs forward slot port forward fire and sealed at the trunk. Last time I metered I did a 145.2 at 3596 watts at 33hz. Time before that was a 144.9 at 3992 watts. Would be nice to try and hit a 150 with the equipment I have but not sure if that’s reachable. 

If anybody is actually set on helping me design a box I can send money. I also have a PDF of my old box design that Ray Pimley designed that I can send to you for you to look over and adjust. 

Thank you for reading! Hope to have someone help me. 

On 9/12/2019 at 9:10 PM, Trevlf said:

I currently have a box that is too large. It’s 4.16^3ft with 2 6” aeroports. I’ve been told for SPL I need a box sized around 2.7^3ft total with a single 6” port. 

Who told you to reduce the box size to 2.7 cu ft with a single 6" port for two 12 subs?  That's really small and that low of port area is going to really choke output.  

Sundown recommends at least 32 sq in of port area per sub for a reason.  A single 6" aero port doesn't even get you that much.  

The box will be going in a 2009 Honda Civic Si. I’m trying to find somebody that knows how to get loud in trunks. Everything is already sound deadened, I have 3 batteries, 240 amp alternator , and a crescendo encore 4.5K. Currently clamping right around 4000. I want to stay in trunk 2, just need to work on my box. The current setup is subs up side fire to driver side. Thinking maybe subs forward side fire or subs forward slot port forward fire and sealed at the trunk. Last time I metered I did a 145.2 at 3596 watts at 33hz. Time before that was a 144.9 at 3992 watts. Would be nice to try and hit a 150 with the equipment I have but not sure if that’s reachable. 

I can't really give you any specific advice on what to do with your truck car,  what I have seen most other people do and has worked well is to fire your subs and port forward and seal off the trunk of the car from the cabin as much as possible.  Tuning at a higher frequency where you are likely to be getting more cabin gain will almost certainly get you a higher dB number.  The trade off is you won't be able to play as low, you have to decide if that is a worthwhile trade or not.  

If anybody is actually set on helping me design a box I can send money. I also have a PDF of my old box design that Ray Pimley designed that I can send to you for you to look over and adjust. 

If you want to post the design Ray did for you I would certainly like to take a look at it.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived