Group 59 recommendation

11 minutes ago, Casparado said:

It's for a 1998 Ford Ranger 2dr ext cab with the 2.5l engine. 

Were you wanting to go with XS Power as your main battery or are you open to Optima?

Looking through it again the D5100 and the Yellowtops are the only thing that will fit without modifications and be able to handle a decent system. If you wanted to go beyond 1/1.5k you'd want to look into another battery or High output alternator anyways. 

2 hours ago, Joshdashef said:

Were you wanting to go with XS Power as your main battery or are you open to Optima?

Looking through it again the D5100 and the Yellowtops are the only thing that will fit without modifications and be able to handle a decent system. If you wanted to go beyond 1/1.5k you'd want to look into another battery or High output alternator anyways. 

Currently I've got about 700w RMS and it's about all the stock electrical can take. I've got plans for increasing things in the future, so I'm upgrading the electrical step by step. I was hoping to jsut start with a better battery, and then the alternator as needs dictate. I haven't even done the big 3 yet, so that's a definite must in the very near future. 

16 hours ago, Casparado said:

Currently I've got about 700w RMS and it's about all the stock electrical can take. I've got plans for increasing things in the future, so I'm upgrading the electrical step by step. I was hoping to jsut start with a better battery, and then the alternator as needs dictate. I haven't even done the big 3 yet, so that's a definite must in the very near future. 

That seems like a good plan to me.

do you battery terminals have a lot of wiggle room? Or are the wires just barely long enough to fit the current battery ?

2 hours ago, Joshdashef said:

That seems like a good plan to me.

do you battery terminals have a lot of wiggle room? Or are the wires just barely long enough to fit the current battery ?

There's very little wiggle room 

19 hours ago, Casparado said:

There's very little wiggle room 

Then I bet you could fit the D5100 or a battery thats just a little bit higher then what you have stock.

Great thread. I have a 2012 Malibu, stock battery is a AC Delco 90-6YR. I searched and didn't find enough info on battery tray sizing so i wrote stock battery measurement down. Pulled the battery to measure tray and there was way more room for a bigger battery, just had to think outside the box to make it all work. I trimmed plastic on the bottom of the tray that wasn't allowing for a bigger battery. After everything was trimmed and measured i ordered a XS Power D3400. When it arrived i test fitted it and i had one issue with a corner. I grabbed the heat gun, got the plastic nice and soft to set the battery in to form the corner. Worked like a champ imo.

spacer.png

Battery comparison. 

spacer.png

Another view.

spacer.png

Battery tray had small vertical fins at both ends stopping a bigger battery to go in. Back left corner is where i heated it up to make the impression for it to fit. Even clamped it donw using stock hardware and it worked perfect.

spacer.png

Front post for stock electrical and top copper plate for audio.

spacer.png

I don't like the stock terminals at ALL! They ugly up what i am trying to do. I think i will loom up both power & negative stock runs real nice, cut off the ugliness and crimp on a SHCA 0 awg lug with heat shrink and call it a day. It will match the top terminals and look badass!

Oh the battery box cover will not go back on because of the over sized battery but that's something i can like with. This is my car and i plan to keep it a long time.

Been cleaning the engine bay & prepping engine panels for paint. Just because its a 4 banger doesn't mean it can't have swag under the hood!

spacer.png

Rear battery in Trunk. Plenty of power for headroom and upgrading amps down the road.

Archived