single 6.5 sub for mid-bass?

Casparado

So, my system is this: (In a 1998 Ford Ranger XLT ext cab) 

5 1/4" Focal components run active for front stage, 50w/ speaker. 

12" B2 Ref12 subwoofer in a 2ft^3 net box tuned to 32hz, 500w RMS. (soon to be 1200W RMS). ...

I just built the ported box and it sounds phenomenal. The B2 used to be in a small sealed box and the mid-bass sounded amazing but the lowww lows were lacking. Now the lowwwww lows are there in quantity, but I've lost all my mid-bass. Basically above 70hz has no more oomf. Sooo... what I am thinking is I need a dedicated mid-bass speaker. I have an extra 300w mono amp laying around and I can easily fit a 6 1/2" mini-sub in my console area in a small 1ft^3 box without much hassle. What I am wondering is, will using a single 6.5 sub (firing forward with a bandpass of 70-250hz roughly) muddy up my soundstage? Do you see anything wrong with this? 

I really don't want to start modifying door panels.. and my center console is bare since I replaced my worn out seats with newer expedition bucket seats. It seems like it would work.. just curious if there are any pitfalls I need to watch out for. Thanks! 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW I spoke with a tech from Focal about these exact speakers to figure out more about the crossover points. It's the ISS-130 set. The 5 1/4" is a full range speaker and the 1" tweeter is high passed at 10k hz !  He said the set is not designed to play below 100hz, and is designed to be used in 3-way systems in cars that have stock DSP apparently. I had no idea about this when I bought them, but I've made them work for my application for now. 

On the passenger side there's plenty of room for a kick panel, but on the driver side I've got the e-brake and the clutch pedal. :( , so unless I want more shallow 5 1/4" speakers, that's a fatty no.  

Also, just to clarify, when the sub was in the sealed box I had everything crossed over at 100hz and it blended nicely. But now with the ported box it just doesn't sound right above 70hz. I gained a ton of low end but sacrificed that mid bass region. I didn't realize that was going to happen, so now I'm trying to fill it back in. Maybe if I use a mid bass that only goes from 60hz to 120hz would be the answer???

well..... so I'm not using a DSP. I'm using individual amplifier channels with home made circuits to crossover where I need it. Head unit offers time alignment and graphic 10 band EQ functions. I guess it's actually an active/passive hybrid? Anyway the x-overs are 5k between mids/highs, 100hz mids/lows. 

Right now I'm working with what I've got... 

Archived