Second Skin Audio

Enlcosure design for 4 12s sealed

Ohmmm

Is there a user friendly software I could use to design a box?  My current box in the trunk is 26" deep 36" wide and 18" high, sealed with 2 15" squares. Thats about as big as I can go. The shorter it is, the deeper it can be so I can slide it in the trunk.  I'm trying to squeeze 4 12s in there, sealed, facing up. Looking at subs that perform best @.7-1.5 cubes each. PSI platform 2 12s. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Edit- Also if you may have a better idea of getting 4 12s in there I'm open to a different design. I'm concerned a bit about how they may sound facing up compared to rear firing. 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have a decent amount of space there, I would worry less about how many subs you have and more about how many you can fit in a proper box.  I was a big sealed box users for MANY years and recently got on the ported box kick, I can tell you the grass is greener!

Using your dimensions and some generic port tuning since I dont know what subs specifically you are using, you have a little over 6 cubes net.  You could easily run 2 really nice 15's or 3 12's in that space.  IMO, either in a ported box would be louder than 4 12's sealed.

The thing I worry about with porting is the short frequency range and lack of tone accuracy, as some days I listen to rock, some days I listen to wobbly, bass all over the spectrum, dubstep. I love how sealed is bone crushing on lows and zippy af on highs. Guess I'd consider myself an SQL guy? The only ported setup I've had was a couple of type R 12s in a prefab box, and there was two optimal peaks. Had to find the right songs to get it to sound good.

Im hunting down subs that'll safely handle 7kwrms combined. Once I find a good deal on another DC 3.5k ill either strap them or run them separately. 

So, is the grass really greener for my listening preferences? Genuinely curious! I know ported is like 95% of what's out there these days so I'd have to guess someone's got it down pat. 

I listen to a mix of everything and the ported box has been better in everyway.  I would dare say it sounds better musically than the sealed box that was in my car previously.  Im using the same sub and was using the same amp at first, it was flat out better all over!  Especially around the tuning frequency.  I dont find it to be peaky at all but def noticeably louder within 10 hz eitherway of the tuning freq.

If you tell me what subs you plan to run and how much power for sure I can show you a box that would work and the freq response of that box vs a sealed box for the same sub.

I ran only sealed boxes for a very long time, and also just made the switch to ported. With the sealed I had everything crossed over fairly high and the midbass sounded great, but the low extension was tight but lacking in volume, and the sub was pushing hard to reproduce it. With the ported it's a give and take thing... the low end now has a ton more extension and volume, but I lost a lot of the midbass region and have to cross it over lower to sound good. So, Now I'm looking at either replacing my 5 1/4" mids with something larger, or adding dedicated midbass speakers to get my midbass back. 

The loss of midbass worries me since I don't have much room to beef up mid bass up front. Curious to see what BYTizzle comes up with. Trying to keep things looking stock. Saving for an audio control D800.4. There's mid tweets on the dash, component 6x9s in the front doors and 6.5 midranges in the rear doors out of the factory. Of course everything is crossed over and locked in with the factory amp which is why I'm getting the amp with DSP built in.  Front doors currently only play 200hz and lower. Plan on switching those out with 6.5 midranges. 

If you do your doors up right (seal them and sound deaden, etc..) You will most likely have enough mids to keep up at decent volumes. My situation is a bit unique....so take my experience with a grain of salt. 

Archived