Sonic Electronix

3 hours ago, White Lightning said:

Class A/B amplifiers do not draw high currents like Class D Amplifiers. Rack mounted Amplifiers are designed to work exceptionally well with A/C voltage. My personal favorites was the Peavey Electronics Industrial models. Ran, sold, and installed many with very few call backs. Mostly to reinstall to new locations and retune. 

What I use for indoor charging on my competition vehicles is the Astron Power Supply. Same ones Linear Power uses to power their test bench. One of these may suit your application. 

I thought class D was more efficient than A/B. I was told by everyone I can remember that AB is better for SQ but will pull way more current. Do they gain efficiency with higher voltages? 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, paidnfull said:

I'm with the other guys who think you'll be better off going a different route.  Rack mount or pa type amps are really going to be the way to go.

That being said, we have used powermax converters on our bowfishing rigs with great luck.  They are very reasonably priced and have worked great for us even in really bad environments for electronics. 

https://powermaxconverters.com/

You can stack them. We run two of the 120a ones on one of my buddy's rigs.  Run them off small suitcase genny's, and these let us run all our lights and a troller pretty much indefinitely without having to head in early with dead batteries or having to worry about recharging a bank of batts to go again the next night.

Thanks for the info I’ll look into em. What do you mean by “stack” them? 

Run them in parallel.  Tie multiple converters to the same bank of batts..

We basically use them like alternators.  Instead of running a large, heavy battery bank, we run two batteries for our whole system (which would last less than an hour without some type of charging).  Two of the small inverter style generators which are light and quiet, and two of these converters.  The genny's stay in econo mode unless we run the troller on high for extended periods of time.  Kind of irrelevant to your setup, but we run them hard and they live in an extremely wet and humid environment. 

20 minutes ago, chasestg said:

I thought class D was more efficient than A/B. I was told by everyone I can remember that AB is better for SQ but will pull way more current. Do they gain efficiency with higher voltages? 

I can’t speak for most, but a Linear Power Class A/B is considered to be a “high voltage” amplifier. Very different in comparison to a Class D Amplifier. 

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

1 hour ago, paidnfull said:

Run them in parallel.  Tie multiple converters to the same bank of batts..

We basically use them like alternators.  Instead of running a large, heavy battery bank, we run two batteries for our whole system (which would last less than an hour without some type of charging).  Two of the small inverter style generators which are light and quiet, and two of these converters.  The genny's stay in econo mode unless we run the troller on high for extended periods of time.  Kind of irrelevant to your setup, but we run them hard and they live in an extremely wet and humid environment. 

How many amps do you run into the batteries and what kind of batteries if you don’t mind me asking. I didn’t think you could run much amperage into 12V batteries without ruining them

16 hours ago, chasestg said:

How many amps do you run into the batteries and what kind of batteries if you don’t mind me asking. I didn’t think you could run much amperage into 12V batteries without ruining them

We are running lights and trolling motors on a boat.  We do have a 400 watt amp running the stereo, but the significant portion of the  power draw is 1000 watts of led’s and a trolling motor that draws about a 100 amps at full tilt.

We run converters at work on our displays too though, but don’t know the brand.  On the sub board we have two 100a supplys, no batteries.  On the headunits we have a single hundred amp on each bank of decks.  No batteries.  

3 hours ago, paidnfull said:

We are running lights and trolling motors on a boat.  We do have a 400 watt amp running the stereo, but the significant portion of the  power draw is 1000 watts of led’s and a trolling motor that draws about a 100 amps at full tilt.

We run converters at work on our displays too though, but don’t know the brand.  On the sub board we have two 100a supplys, no batteries.  On the headunits we have a single hundred amp on each bank of decks.  No batteries.  

Oh I thought you meant you were using the batteries like an alternator in the sense that you were using the converters to run xxx amps into the batteries at xx volts 

1 hour ago, chasestg said:

Oh I thought you meant you were using the batteries like an alternator in the sense that you were using the converters to run xxx amps into the batteries at xx volts 

We are.  The lights and troller are 12v.  We run converters to keep the batteries full.  Different application.  Was mainly just explaining the type of load and environment we use them in.  And that they have been reliable.  You can run these without a battery bank, but I prefer to use the batteries as a cushion.

Archived