Sundown Audio

Speaker Wire Size for 2K RMS

Kennyy

Hey everybody i hope you guys are having a good day. Ive been researching the forum since last night, I checked out the power wire thread but I found little to no info on speaker wire from amp to subs. I didn't want to make a thread so I checked out some peoples builds with power similar as mine but still kind of confused. So I'm running 2400 watts rms into my (2) NVX VCW (1k rms each). I normally would do 12 gauge on this but was wondering if 12 gauge is sufficient wire for 2k rms at 1 ohm? I currently have sky high car audio 12 gauge OFC so before I start wiring my new subs into the box, do you guys recommend sizing up to either 10 gauge or 8 gauge ofc? or would 12 gauge ofc be enough, each sub is about 2 feet away from the amp so I won't be using much. I was also thinking of running 8 gauge ofc from amp to enclosure terminals and wiring inside the box with 12 gauge, would this be worth buying new wire or should I stick to 12 gauge for it all? sorry for the long thread, didn't want to leave anything out.

27 minutes ago, strangeduck said:

you are splitting that power to more than one coil, keep that in mind. also check my signature for more info. its the last link.

so in this case, does it mean that I can get away with smaller wire per voice coil or does that mean I should maximize the wire size to each coil? As of now both subs are wired to 2 ohms and my amp has 4 inputs where they're paralleled to give my final 1 ohm impedance, this meaning ill be utilizing all 4 inputs on the amp so if necessary I have the room for thicker wire. I checked out that link last night (very informative info that I kept with me) but still was a bit confused on how to calculate amperes that my subs produce to figure out if 12 gauge was enough. I don't mind having to buy extra wire but it will slow down my progress, so I want to purchase it only if its necessary. 

If you have 4 4ohm coils then 12 or 10ga will be fine to each coil. if you are going to sum then i would use 8ga to each sub. bigger wont hurt anything, just whatever your pocketbook can handle.

side note, dont worry too much about the amperage. the amp will put out a certain voltage at whatever volume, as your impedance changes the amperage coming from the amplifier will change. you are likely never going to see less than 1 ohm.

2 minutes ago, strangeduck said:

side note, dont worry too much about the amperage. the amp will put out a certain voltage at whatever volume, as your impedance changes the amperage coming from the amplifier will change. you are likely never going to see less than 1 ohm.

I appreciate your help and input endlessly, thank you for directly answering my question 😎

Archived