14-16 silverado alternator advise.

Just got my system setup and running then ruined the factory alt. Its rattling like crazy. Prob brushes gone bad. Id like to run a second alternator for reliability reasons but i could be talked out of that. Factory is 150 amp. 750w amp. I clamped with just lights/ ac runing 65amps. Havent done the big three. And the batt is new. Factory sized interstate led.

Subs don't hit when powered by cheap amps!

7 minutes ago, ToNasty said:

DC power, us alrernators, singer and brand x all make them for these trucks. I am actually getting a singer 200 very soon for my 16 silverado

Ok. And this would be reliable? Im saying you know how our trucks are with the amp clamp and voltage regulator. Im still trying to wrap my head around what gm has done to the charging system.

10 hours ago, ToNasty said:

These have had the battery current sensors since 2005. This isn't my first rodeo with how gm set these up

I think your misunderstanding what im saying. Im not doubting you. Im just wating to make sure the battery and alternator will not fail for whatever reason. Basically was asking for a confirmation on the reliability issue. This is my daily and wifes aswell. And she cannot be stranded in the heat due to health issues. Thank you for your time.

12 minutes ago, ToNasty said:

DC and Us alrernators are my top choice. I actually have a us alternator on my 2007 silverado. Been on there for 5 years. Its still ticking 

Right on dude. I will most definetly check into them. What group size battery should I go with? I was thinking of picking up an Odyssey AGM seems like no one sells XS power anymore. The last one I had died on me and swole.

• 6 months later...

I need help also, I have 17 LTZ crew cab and I have never dealt with any stuff like this janky ass power system! I have had 900rms with no problem and then some POS desired to clean my truck out for me while I was visiting my sick mother in Tulsa! Stole everything. So I had to get new stuff and it wasn't working for me. It was aight but I needed more bang. I had 2 type r 12 and got 2 skar even 12 and a Taramps smart 3, 3k rms. Instead of getting butter raped at an ghetto audio shop I bought all my own stuff. I put an lc2i off stock Bose amp sub output. I haven't even tuned it properly because I am waiting to find help building a box... anyway, now my shit hits protect mode due to low voltage and I have gain all the way down and barely pushing the subs. I need to do Big 3 but due to the damn Corona virus and a ridiculous stent of bad luck I have to put my build on hold temporarily. I just need help and advice as to what to do as far as the power is concerned.  I was going to do the dual battery setup but don't know what batteries to get. Back in the day we all used Optima... now there is so much it is confusing. For sure I know I need the big 3 and a new battery plus aux battery. HELP! Please! Also, if anyone knows someone in the Dallas Texas area that build sub enclosures or can help design one that would be great. If possible I want to keep it under rear seats. I have them raised 3 inches already. So I don't know if it is even possible 🤔.  I probably should have thought about airspace for the subs before buying huh. 

Archived