Second Skin Audio

Optimal setup for sub in trunk.

I've read a bunch of your guys stuff but I'm still a little unclear on something. I'm pretty new to learning how sound waves work and all so please forgive my ignorance. 

My impression is that to get the loudest cleanest sound from out trunk to our drivers seat is to have a sound waves thy are not bouncing off each other and taking things out of phase. Additionally, we would want to deaden and even block as much sound waves as possible from escaping the trunk area so all of it is going straight forward into the cabin. 

My main question is about the blocking of sound in the trunk.  If your going for the ultimate setup, is there benefit in stacking multiple layers of cld tiles on top of each other? What about a layer of cld, then a layer of CCF and then cld and then CCF? What about  cld and then painting a thick layer of sludge on top of that? Or is simply doing cld, CCF, then MLV the best results you can get?

I have the impression that spl in cabin will increase as trunk is sealed better. 

Am I on the right track here or am I totally missing something? 

From my understanding you either run a trunk setup sealed fired into cabin or not sealed fired backwards (trunk lid) for optimal SPL.

I would favor sealed fired into cabin since it lessens the rattles but that's just me. 

As far as your question about stacking specific types of sound deadener you might get some insight from @Second Skin they know their stuff. 

• Like (+1 Rep) 1
  • Thanks (+1 Rep) 1

1 hour ago, GeorgeLukas said:

I've read a bunch of your guys stuff but I'm still a little unclear on something. I'm pretty new to learning how sound waves work and all so please forgive my ignorance. 

My impression is that to get the loudest cleanest sound from out trunk to our drivers seat is to have a sound waves thy are not bouncing off each other and taking things out of phase. Additionally, we would want to deaden and even block as much sound waves as possible from escaping the trunk area so all of it is going straight forward into the cabin. 

My main question is about the blocking of sound in the trunk.  If your going for the ultimate setup, is there benefit in stacking multiple layers of cld tiles on top of each other? What about a layer of cld, then a layer of CCF and then cld and then CCF? What about  cld and then painting a thick layer of sludge on top of that? Or is simply doing cld, CCF, then MLV the best results you can get?

I have the impression that spl in cabin will increase as trunk is sealed better. 

Am I on the right track here or am I totally missing something? 

Yes you are on the right track about sealing that trunk tight to force the waves forward and also not wanting back waves to cancel out the front waves. Multiple layers of a good butyl deadener are rarely needed unless you are pushing major dB like 150+ To completely seal the trunk and block out all outside interference noise, you will need to apply Damplifier/Damplifier Pro on the metal everywhere (normal cars can get away with 40-60% coverage but large SPL builds should use Damplifier Pro in 100% coverage throughout the trunk). That will make the metal more solid. Then add Luxury Liner Pro (CCF+MLV) with the foam side attached to the Damplifier Pro the Mass Loaded Vinyl is what will block out the outside noise and also give your trunk a clean and even surface to reflect waves off of. With Damplifier Pro and Luxury Liner Pro completely covering the trunk area your sound pressure will not escape out of the trunk and will move forward into the cabin. If you treat the back seat wall you will be blocking sound waves from getting in the cabin so don't use MLV on the back seat. We can be reached at 1-800-679-8511 9 am to 4 pm Mon-Fri for any further questions. #SMDFTW #TeamSecondSkin @Joshdashef thanks for tagging us, it really helps us find the threads. We appreciate your support. 

• Like (+1 Rep) 1
  • Thanks (+1 Rep) 1

Whether you are restoring a classic muscle car, building an audio system monster, or trying to give yourself a bit of silent luxury on your daily commute, we have a product or combination of products that will help you achieve your goals while saving money and save time. Look around our site, educate yourself and make the choice that is right for you.

Over built to over perform - because user error, bad batch, and faulty install are excuses that other companies use!

468x60.png

21 hours ago, Second Skin said:

Yes you are on the right track about sealing that trunk tight to force the waves forward and also not wanting back waves to cancel out the front waves. Multiple layers of a good butyl deadener are rarely needed unless you are pushing major dB like 150+ To completely seal the trunk and block out all outside interference noise, you will need to apply Damplifier/Damplifier Pro on the metal everywhere (normal cars can get away with 40-60% coverage but large SPL builds should use Damplifier Pro in 100% coverage throughout the trunk). That will make the metal more solid. Then add Luxury Liner Pro (CCF+MLV) with the foam side attached to the Damplifier Pro the Mass Loaded Vinyl is what will block out the outside noise and also give your trunk a clean and even surface to reflect waves off of. With Damplifier Pro and Luxury Liner Pro completely covering the trunk area your sound pressure will not escape out of the trunk and will move forward into the cabin. If you treat the back seat wall you will be blocking sound waves from getting in the cabin so don't use MLV on the back seat. We can be reached at 1-800-679-8511 9 am to 4 pm Mon-Fri for any further questions. #SMDFTW #TeamSecondSkin @Joshdashef thanks for tagging us, it really helps us find the threads. We appreciate your support. 

Thanks a mil for this, it really cleared things up for me. 

• Like (+1 Rep) 2

16 hours ago, GeorgeLukas said:

Thanks a mil for this, it really cleared things up for me. 

No problem at all, take some pictures of your install to pass the knowledge on to the next person. #BASSLife 

Whether you are restoring a classic muscle car, building an audio system monster, or trying to give yourself a bit of silent luxury on your daily commute, we have a product or combination of products that will help you achieve your goals while saving money and save time. Look around our site, educate yourself and make the choice that is right for you.

Over built to over perform - because user error, bad batch, and faulty install are excuses that other companies use!

468x60.png