What is this phenomenom with Crossovers?

Qwiz

@Qwiz

Pretty sure jl's rd500/1000 uses a 12db slope, if i remember right only the slash has selectable 12/24db slopes.

Also, the 80prs has selectable slopes on all pairs of channels from 6/12/24 including phase flip ect, still there is absolutely no reason for your 80prs to send a dirty upper freq output unless something is defective,not set up right or a simple user misunderstanding.

If it does what you need than yeah just let it ride but, if you really need help with it then post some pics of the setup or write down the head unit & amp settings so others might help point you in the proper direction.

2 hours ago, slowfkncar said:

@Qwiz

Pretty sure jl's rd500/1000 uses a 12db slope, if i remember right only the slash has selectable 12/24db slopes.

Also, the 80prs has selectable slopes on all pairs of channels from 6/12/24 including phase flip ect, still there is absolutely no reason for your 80prs to send a dirty upper freq output unless something is defective,not set up right or a simple user misunderstanding.

If it does what you need than yeah just let it ride but, if you really need help with it then post some pics of the setup or write down the head unit & amp settings so others might help point you in the proper direction.

The 80prs only has 24db/oct for the sub channel if using the network mode. Normal mode goes from 6,12,18db/oct on the sub channel and 6 or 12db/oct for mids and highs. 

10 minutes ago, Mike4068 said:

The 80prs only has 24db/oct for the sub channel if using the network mode. Normal mode goes from 6,12,18db/oct on the sub channel and 6 or 12db/oct for mids and highs. 

Ok I had to double check, 12/18/24/30 & 36 in network mode, you might have meant standard mode? Anyway still boggles my mind that using his lpf before the rca would introduce distortion over using the lpf after the signal, this is one of those things I'd rather see in person.

With a prs you should be able to keep sub amp wide open and cross just fine at head unit.

Or try this 

Turn lpf off for the sub on the prs, then Criss 63hz down on amp. If you still get muddy upper end out of it, there is something major defective going on.

By chance, what type of rca cable are you using?

Thank you all I feel we re getting deeper into this.

Slowfkncar and Mike have mentioned important things, such as introduced distorsion and the inability tuturn the LPF off on the Prs.

Here is a video with my settings on both. I wanted to film the sub too, I don t think its worth it with a phone microphone. From some point on, you are able to hear low vocals such as someone speqking through a rag or something, over the main bass waves, all coming from the sub. Its just like ruining it somehow. Link 

In another video theres my old sub playing. That one played very clean, that cool unique clean cut bass feeling you get. Its one of a kind when its clean and powerful. Setup was a 4100sd HU, Kole Audio Qx 620 amp and a Spl Dynamics v300 sub in a 50L box. I even had that amp gain way until max I still got 0 sub distorsion on high volumes.

Later: Could this be related to a grounding issue? The amp for Front I grounded it to a bolt under the gloves departm, while for the sub amp under the rear seat bolt, on cleaned from paint metal surfaces and tight.

So it looks like you have the hu lpf at 200hz and the amp at it's minimum. Is that correct? Are your hpf and lpf both at the 12db/oct slope? If not then you shouldn't need to have the sub phase reversed. As for the grounds, measure them and make sure that you are are reading less than one ohm. Grounding in 2 separate places can also cause a ground loop. 

Ground seems fine after a VM Ohm measure between ground amp and ground battery.

The sound is way better in any case, I mean, it got better and better by changing settings, wiring, etc. In an one year period I have progressively changed my setup so I have this now.

It is still not what I remember it shoud be so I am left with 2 options, check the box and check the cars insulation.

Only my front doors are insulated, this is a 2(3) Door car and only a little bit for the trunk, like 10cm2 or so. The box I have stapled some Polyfill in, not entirely, on the floor of the box I have no Fill. This is a 50L slot ported box.

So the next steps I will take would be 1) to refill the sub box on every inside part except for the port and 2) insulate the trunk completely.

The problem with the low frequencies coming from the sub does not arise at lower volumes. Even though I set up the gain much LOWER than the point of distorsion after setting it with a 40hz 0db sinetone, after say 30 Volume I get this echo sound I cannot describe it it's like on top of the DEEP bass which I should only hear. It's like reverbing the bass.

I will try these things and I will be appreciating your replies, if any. Thanks

Archived