Sonic Electronix

Finally finished my new Orion build. Ive got a 285 hairpin alt from US alts, normal super start battery under the hood, 3 xs power d3100s in the back. Big 3 is done, 2 runs of 0 gauge to back for 4 total, ( 2 +, 2-). 2 orion Hcca152s. I have an Orion XTR 2500.1D amp on one sub, and a 2500.1dz on the other (One I ordered they sent me what they said was a D, not a dz). Got everything hooked up, tuned with my oscope on a 40hz tone so no clipping. Set one amps gains then matched voltage on the other. Played full voume for a bit on my way home just to here em and after a bit, the subs started to give off a light smell. Did not smell like burning. Is this normal if I haven't broke the subs in yet? Plan on playing them at half volume for a few hours before I go full again. I'm staying above 14 volts when driving even at full volume and at low RPMs. I figured it was a new sub thing and not having broke them in yet considering it is all tuned with an oscope, and nothing seems to be getting too hot.

Thanks for the input. I normally use a -5db tone, but it got deleted off my phone when I reset it. Wasn't at home when tuning to reupload it to my phone. Was using a bass maniak 40hz off apple music. I was under the impression that tuning to a 0db is safest, and that something like a -5 for decaf would be putting the gains up higher though?

I listen to a good amount of decaf when full tilt, and lots of stuff that's "rebassed" to specific frequencies that I like playing at. What test tone should I use then for this?

8 minutes ago, AaronT said:

Your subs amps aren't clipped at the test tone volume, but no music is 0db flat bass. It's all boosted. You could very well be clipping vin music

Recheck the music you played at the volume you had it with the scope.

You didn't change any settings on deck after tuning? Eq same etc?

Also I would test both amps with scope and test tone. Then gain match to the one that clips first.

No way they are going to clip at same voltage. 2 channel amps don't even out out identicle volts across both channels

Just now, AaronT said:

You didn't change any settings on deck after tuning? Eq same etc?

Also I would test both amps with scope and test tone. Then gain match to the one that clips first.

No way they are going to clip at same voltage. 2 channel amps don't even out out identicle volts across both channels

No everything on the deck is the same as before. Should I be good with a -5 tone then? I will try the method of testing which clips first tomorrow then matching to that.

What I am saying is. The d and dz well similar are slightly different builds.

You tested one amp for clip and set right under and then gain matched the voltage of the other amp to that. The other amp can very well be clipping at the voltage set on it.

Check both amps on an o scope with whatever track you like, -5db or what have you.

Say one clips at 25.5 volts and other clips at 26.8volts.

You wanna set them both at 25.3 so you know neither one is clipping and they'll both out out identicle wattage.

For example purposes I'll tell a story of my amp. Rockford t600-2.

I put meter in left side, set to just under clip, then tested right side and it was a full 1.78 volts higher so I set clip with that channel as it was higher of the 2.

If I never checked it I'd have the right side clipping all the time at full head unit volume and left side riding clean.

Never assume anything like this without checking.

Your smell could very well be coming from only one sub on the amp you assumed was going to read out exactly like the one you checked 

I'd bet my eye teeth on it.

1 hour ago, AaronT said:

For example purposes I'll tell a story of my amp. Rockford t600-2.

I put meter in left side, set to just under clip, then tested right side and it was a full 1.78 volts higher so I set clip with that channel as it was higher of the 2.

If I never checked it I'd have the right side clipping all the time at full head unit volume and left side riding clean.

Never assume anything like this without checking.

Your smell could very well be coming from only one sub on the amp you assumed was going to read out exactly like the one you checked 

I'd bet my eye teeth on it.

I get what you’re saying. I should of mentioned I had that scope open when I matched both gains too. Didn’t look like any clipping anywhere. Been breaking them in a bit and not getting a smell now even if I full tilt for a few minutes, but will still do as you suggested.

Archived