Second Skin Audio

Building my first box

BassAddikt

I've made a few posts in the last few months regarding my box and had several replies on both the box i currently have as well as the box i designed myself. The new box is roughly the same size as the old (current) one, but it is bigger. The main difference is the size of the port. I'm currently running 4 MMats Procast 15s, until i save up and order some different ones (possibly Skar, not sure yet) but I know for a fact that the port (and box altogether) is a little small for what I have. I'm aware that the "12-16 sq in for every cubic ft" rule is a general starting point, BUT only 35 sq in of port area for 4 15s is nowhere near enough  that is needed. The new box will have about 144 sq in of area for port, tuned to about 34hz. I went ahead and used 3/4 MDF  to build the box and I've heard from different people online that MDF has a higher tendency to flex compared to birch, for example. So I figured this box would need to be braced pretty well. I've read Tricicum's post about bracing and decided to try and see about using the techniques he mentioned in his post. I'm hoping that the few pics i have will upload (i cant seem to upload them right) and will try to keep this post going with updates. I won't be able to work on the box everyday due to my work schedule but will try updating when i can. Also, assuming that you guys are able to view the pics, please keep in mind that this is pretty much my first time doing woodwork like this, and definitely my first time at building a box. That being said, I have a friend of mine helping me and guiding me along the way since he has done alot of woodwork in the past. I'm really pleased with how it's turning out, and i'm hoping that it'll perform and sound just as good.

RLASIqf.jpg

88BlWxS.jpg

gZImV5g.jpg

tduzaNL.jpg

A little update- got the braces put it with some titebond to fill in the small gaps and cracks. Speaking of which, does anyone have any tips on keeping the braces from cracking when screwing them in place? I had a little trouble with that when screwing in the middle brace. I filled in the cracks with glue but was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to prevent it maybe? Also put some bondo on the outside to fill in the screw holes and make the edges a little more even. May or may not matter depending on what i end up doing to the outside. I do have a question- would it be beneficial to fiberglass the inside/outside of the box? I know it'll add some sturdiness overall but is there any benefit besides that? I haven't decided if i want to do that or not. I've still gotta go in and put some bondo on the inside edges, which i'll do tomorrow. It's turning out pretty well, if I do say so myself. Im just hoping and praying it'll sound and perform good🙏   I hate that i'm really tight on time during the week due to work, which is why I haven't posted updates until now, but i plan on getting alot done tomorrow, hopefully finishing it if time allows

DZsbDTe.jpg

DZsbDTe.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I apologize for lack of updates, been busy with work and life lol, but finally got to the point of only having to screw the top of the box down. I decided to put the two boxes side by side just to see what the size difference was between the two, so these pics are showing that, my old box being the one on the right and the one I built on the left. Even though the new one is slightly bigger, I think it's still on the small side because the placement of the subs is very close and kinda feels "cramped", if that makes sense. But hopefully it'll sound and perform well.

O5KcVMC.jpg

TnX1cIC.jpg

yzBqLRv.jpg

7cnan5q.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry guys for the incredibly late response...I never had a notification or knew anyone commented on this lol but thanks for the kind words. I'd read somewhere one here about window braces and figured I'd try one out. Not very hard to do and seems to really work out well. The box is alot heavier than the old one and sounds alot more solid in general. As far as putting carpet on it, I've thought about it, but also thought about just painting but never got around to doing either lol probably not gonna worry about that right now because I'm currently in the process of another build anyway. Wanting to go bigger, but trying to decide between 6-8 12s , 6 15s , or 4 18s. I'm more than likely gonna go with the skar evls mainly due to them being a reasonable price. But I'm currently working on getting my electrical upgraded (since its gotta be done before I go bigger anyway).

Archived