Sundown Audio

Bigger amp than sub RMS

airofu

If I have a subwoofer that is 600rms rated 1200w peak - but an amp that can do 1500rms, what should I set my max output too on the amp for this sub? I get having a bigger amp gives me more headroom and less likely to distort as it won't max out as would be this case, but do I still set the amp as max output for the rated 600rms? I read about 50% more....but is that headroom vs actual power to the sub?

2 hours ago, airofu said:

If I have a subwoofer that is 600rms rated 1200w peak - but an amp that can do 1500rms, what should I set my max output too on the amp for this sub? I get having a bigger amp gives me more headroom and less likely to distort as it won't max out as would be this case, but do I still set the amp as max output for the rated 600rms? I read about 50% more....but is that headroom vs actual power to the sub? 

You have a DD1 is why your asking correct?

2 hours ago, airofu said:

Also what's the sub a d4? Also what's the amp?

Just using a multi meter and oscilloscope (same as a DD1?) to work out estimated distortion free output from the amp, with a hypothetical 600rms sub and 1500rms amp at 1ohm. 

Do I set the amp hard at 600rms to match the sub or give it a bit more due to playing music not tones/impedance rise? 800rms? more?

11 hours ago, airofu said:

Just using a multi meter and oscilloscope (same as a DD1?) to work out estimated distortion free output from the amp, with a hypothetical 600rms sub and 1500rms amp at 1ohm. 

Do I set the amp hard at 600rms to match the sub or give it a bit more due to playing music not tones/impedance rise? 800rms? more?

With the oscope I would take the multi meter out the picture. You'll still like an need a little gain overlap and depending on content played more or less . 

It really depends on the brand of the subwoofer. Some are considerably underrated (like Sundown... or a lot of the quality brands for that matter), and some are severely overrated in their power handling (like Rockville). What brand are you looking at? 

Thanks for the replies looking at a Skar SDR which is potentially a little underrated. If I am playing music as a daily, it sounds like you can also go a bit above RMS as it's not always going to peak the wattage based on the music/impedance rise?

Archived