Sonic Electronix

Jeep Wrangler TJ Speaker Questions

Hey all, its been a while since I last been here and even longer since I have last posted.

I recently purchased a Jeep Wrangler TJ, a 1998. I know that it comes with a weird speaker size in the front and I think for the rear speaker bar it comes with 5"1/4 size. I have been out of the loop for a long time when it comes to audio, but I still have some knowledge about audio brands, but I am not up-to-date with current brands. So I am asking what would be a good brand for speakers in my size options? I have used Hertz Energy in the past but those were components in the front of my previous Jeep, and for the rear I used coaxle Kenwoods in the rear. This setup was being amped by a JL Audio JX 360/4. 

For my Jeep TJ I would like to use components but I wouldn't know where to place the tweeters. I'd have to look around for a place to put them. For my rear soundbar I plan to use coaxle unless I can put components in there, as I said I would again have to find a place to put the tweeters.

The gear I will be reusing in my TJ is my head unit the DEH-80PRS and the same amp I used in my previous build, the JL 360/4. I believe that this will suit me just fine. As for a subwoofer, I don't think there would be a good place to put it without removing my rear seat, which I don't plan on. But I have seen builds with the subwoofer box being built inside the rear seat but I am not currently thinking about that route.  

If anyone was wondering my previous Jeep (Which the build is on this site) was a 00' WJ.

Also, I noticed that I have a rattle from my panels, I was hoping to deaden the vibrations but I don't know much about sound deadner, I was thinking of buying murdermat. I also would like to deaden the entire floor of my TJ, I have a soft top right now so I don't think it would be possible to deaden the soft top.

So could someone recommend some speaker brands and if my amp is too far out of date please update me on a good 4 channel amp. As well as for sound deadening for my TJ.

Skar Audio SDR 10" x2 (Sealed Box)

Skar Audio 1500.1D (1 Ohm) x1

Skar Audio TX525c (Front with dash tweeter) x1

Kenwood Excelon KFC-X173 (Rear Coax) x1

JL Audio 360.4 (Mids & Highs Amp) x1 

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

I have a tj and I have gone through several speaker changes. The dash has 4x6s and the soundbar has 5.25s. You can get adapters for the 4x6s to take either 4s or 5.25s. The soundbar can take 6.5s. Depending on the model of 6.5s you may need a spacer ring due to depth issues. I have rf t1650s in my soundbar and had to use a 1" spacer. I have ran 4s in the dash but am currently running 5.25s. I also have mod pods on the floor and versa pods on the dashboard. Other than the rockfords in the soundbar everything is kicker ks series coaxials. I'm overpowering these with a rf t1000-4ad and they don't mind it at all. They are very loud and very clear. Second skin is gonna be your best choice for deadening and if you contact them they will help you determine what will best help you achieve your goals. As far as the amp goes, if it works and you like it, keep it. 

Nice!

I did not know that the front can be fitted to use 4s or 5.25's with an adaptor. That is good to hear. I was not finding many speakers in the 4x6 size. As for the soundbar, I was looking at the Crescendo Audo Mezzo SQ2 6.5" Components. I have been looking at them since they released but I didn't think that these would fit. But another question comes with where would I end up putting the tweeters. 

I have looked at Secondskin and I have heard wonderful things about them when I was active in Car Audio back in 2010-2013. I have looked at MurderMat also by Crescendo Audio but I am unsure how much deadner I would need to coat the entire TJ. I plan to do the floor and anything else I can find that rattles.

On a side note, do you know a place to get trim screws for TJs in bulk? The only ones I have found were single individual screws which is no good for me.

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

You could use a hole saw and put the tweets wherever in the soundbar but you'd have to make some angled rings to aim them. There's really no place for them on the dash unless you aim them straight up or directly in your face, neither of which is optimal. This is why I went with coax. Like I said, I'd contact second skin. They have a liquid that you can spray now too. As for screws, I get all my stuff from 4wd.com. I've never needed screws but I know they have them, not sure about Qty. Why not just get some screws at the hardware store? 

I'll keep Second Skin in mind, I have found a deadner called Siless on Amazon, Its pretty cheap for 36 sft. But I doubt that its enough for the entire tub of the TJ. Also, there is a deadner I have never heard of, besides Siless. The brand I found called Noico, what sticks out to me for this brand is that its deadner is waterproof. So for a TJ owner who will have the top off in the summer I would think this would be ideal but again, I've never heard of this brand.

Besides this, what a some brands that are good now? I had Skar Audio subwoofers and subwoofer amps but I have never had their speakers. I've heard only some in my active time during 2010-2013 but after that period of time I have not been able to hear the latest speakers. In the past I've heard Focal and Morel, but that was a long time ago. So any pointers for speaker brands to go with?

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

Alright I will look into Savard. I have had Hertz and I have heard Morel and Focal speakers before.

I just have a quick question, did you by any chance deaden your TJ tub? If you did, do you suggest doing it? I plan on deadening the entire tub of my TJ except for the drain holes of course. 

Do you also have a sub installed? If so where did you put it and how many watts RMS is it? Did you put 1/0 AWG? Is 1/0 AWG good for future proofing? Or do you think that I should just be good with 4g since right now I am just going to be using the speaker amp. I am not totally sure how a subwoofer would sound in a TJ with a soft top. If I do put a subwoofer in it, I am not sure how big the subwoofer would be. I might not even need 1/0 AWG for my TJ since the TJ has such little room in the "trunk".

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

I didn't deaden mine. I didn't see a reason to since I got rid of my hard top. I have a Fi sp4 plus 18. It's rated at 3500 rms. I have 2 runs of 1/0 from the front battery to the rear battery. 1/0 for the sub amp and 4awg for the mids and highs amp. I got rid of the rear seat. There is no cargo room in my jeep. 

Oh alright. 

May I ask where you mounted your amps? Specifically your speaker amp. How long of runs did you run? I'm trying to see if I can get by with just 1 spool of 50 feet, for power and ground. What about your speaker wires? From the dash and from the speaker bar?

Did you run the power cable opposite of the RCAs? I just want to get my basis down for when I do my TJ.

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

My sub amp is on the enclosure with rubber grommets to dampen vibration. My 4 channel amp is mounted to a board with foam underneath on the floor behind the passenger seat. Power and ground runs through the firewall on the driver's side and through the center console around the rear of the driver's seat and along the side of the enclosure to the rear battery. Rca's and speaker wire run from the amp along the passenger side up to the firewall and into the dash. The soundbar and dash speakers are connected to the factory wires and the extra pods are wired directly. A 50 ft spool will let you do the big 3 and run 2 lines from the battery to the tailgate and still have some left. If you are only adding a 4 channel amp you won't need 1/0. 4awg would be plenty as that's probably what your amp is going to want anyway. Unless you plan on upgrading later there's no need to spend more on wire. 

Archived